Are you passionate about working in the IT field? Would you enjoy serving in a role where no two days are the same, and you can help make our state safer? If so, we encourage you to discover this opportunity!
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Comprehensive benefit offerings
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Paid time off
- Professional growth and paid professional development opportunities
- A healthy work-life balance to all employees!
We hope to hear from you if you have demonstrated proficiency in successfully leading teams of employees and contractors through the development and deployment of complex IT applications.
Additionally, the IT Manager will be responsible for managing ongoing support of the agency’s existing IT application portfolio and overseeing the organization’s Project Management Office (PMO).
Please see the addendum for additional information.
- Monday - Friday
- Full-time (40 hours per week)
- First shift
- Location: DESPP headquarters in Middletown, CT (located off I-91)
- Hybrid work environment (on-site and remote work)
View the video below to learn what it's like to be part of this new BITS team!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location or shift.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
Important Information After You Apply:
Connect With Us:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Frank DeCusati at email@example.com or 860-713-5176.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
Within a state agency information technology division, this class is accountable for the management and direction of information systems, applications development, systems maintenance, and similar information technology functions as well as technical and support staff.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Plans, organizes and manages all operations and activities of an information technology services unit, division, function or location;
- Responsible for meeting all data processing or information technology needs of the respective unit, division, function or location;
- Establishes priorities for systems development and information technology projects in accordance with agency requirements;
- Coordinates, plans and manages solution architecture projects;
- Directs the planning, design and implementation of complex storage solution configuration;
- Develops plans for future utilization information technology services in the overall agency program;
- Within the financial resources of the agency ensuring the development of high quality, low-cost technology solutions aligned with the needs of the State and its agencies;
- Aligns information technology planning with the business strategy;
- Leads and influences the development of standards and decisions regarding changes to systems/applications;
- Manages information systems activities within areas such as IT infrastructure and architecture, applications development, networks, computer operations and support;
- Oversees information technology projects from conception to completion;
- Works with leadership team to maximize cross-team contributions;
- Leads information technology operations to ensure exceptional quality and timely response to all customer service issues;
- Interfaces regularly with clients/customers;
- Stays abreast of local, regional and national industry trends;
- Understands the major economic, political, technological and competitive trends affecting technology;
- To capture competitive advantages, searches out challenging opportunities to change, grow, innovate and improve;
- Compares information technology with those of significant competitors and makes appropriate adjustments;
- Coordinates the use of key people, resources, technologies, process, and capabilities to reach strategic goals;
- Sets an example by acting in ways that are consistent with shared department values;
- Fosters collaboration by promoting cooperative goals, building trust and enlisting others in a common vision;
- Strengthens staff by providing choice, developing competence and offering visible support;
- Focuses on continuous learning for self and staff;
- Actively acknowledges individual and team accomplishments;
- Leverages technological solutions to meet business needs;
- Leads the recruitment and hiring of staff, including outreach, interview and selection;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Plan and Deploy for Business Results, which includes the ability to develop and implement business plans, IT plans, budget plans, and human resource plans in order to maximize budget allocations, technology, personnel and other resources to achieve agency and program goals.
- Lead Change, which includes innovation, the ability to be a creative problem solver and a strategic thinker, and the ability to recognize and develop opportunities to grow and develop information technology services in response to customers and a changing work environment.
- Focus on Results and Quality, including exercising and promoting accountability, and the ability to analyze surveys, financial and other data, and use strategic planning and performance measurement techniques to continuously improve performance and maintain competitiveness.
- Understand Customers and Markets, which includes the ability to establish customer satisfaction and loyalty, forecast and conduct market analyses, keep ahead of industry trends and incorporate “best practices” into information technology operations.
- Lead People, including the ability to resolve conflict, communicate effectively, coach and train employees, recognize performance, and foster diversity and teamwork.
- Build Coalitions, including the ability to explain and advocate facts and ideas in a convincing manner, to negotiate with individuals and groups internally and externally, to gain cooperation from others, and to identify the internal and external politics that impact the work of the organization.
- Business Knowledge, including knowledge of the technical, professional, procedural and legal requirements of the specific information technology area.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Ten (10) years of experience in computer or network administration, architecture, operations, production control, systems development, information technology analysis and planning.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of the General Experience must have been in a lead capacity.
NOTE: For state employees this is interpreted to be at the level of an Information Technology Analyst 3.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training in computer science, management information systems or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor’s degree.
- A Master’s degree in computer science, management information systems or a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- For state employees four (4) years of experience as a Computer Operations Supervisor may be substituted for the Special Experience.
- Experience leading a team of application developers and project managers
- Experience leading information technology (IT) application and modernization initiatives
- Experience recruiting and developing staff
- Experience serving as a point of escalation for critical application outages
- Experience ensuring systems, processes and technology are in compliance with Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) Security Policy Standards
- Experience supporting a law enforcement or paramilitary agency with 24x7x365 mission
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.