The State of Connecticut, Department of Social Services (DSS), is recruiting for Social Services Trainee position(s) (Target Classification: Eligibility Services Worker) in the Division of Field Operations. These opportunities are located in the following work locations of the Department of Social Services (Bridgeport, Greater Hartford, New Britain, New Haven, Waterbury) and are full-time, in-office position(s).
The Division of Field Operations is comprised of twelve field offices located throughout the state providing direct statewide access to the majority of programs that DSS administers. The Division of Field Operations is the DSS connection to local communities, working closely with Community Action Agencies, other state agencies, not for profits, hospitals, long-term care facilities, local boards, and many community-based organizations.
In a state social and human service agency, this class is accountable for receiving on-the-job training designed to develop the knowledge and skills needed to perform various technical duties involved in social services delivery such as eligibility determinations for various programs. This class is to be used as a bridge class between clerical and/or paraprofessional classes and the entry levels in various Social Services professional series. Upon completion of two (2) years in this class, incumbents will be eligible for the targeted classification of Eligibility Services Worker.
Duties and responsibilities of this position would include
- Intensive training in application of departmental programs, policies, guidelines and regulations
- Training in methods of effective interviewing, data collection and analysis and/or other required skills
- Explaining programs and requirements to individuals and groups by phone or in-person
- Assists individuals in completion of necessary department forms
- Performs related duties as required
We offer competitive benefits including health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 13 paid holidays per calendar year, vacation, sick and personal leave accruals.
We are passionate about helping advance Connecticut into the future. Every single day is an opportunity to positively impact the lives of Connecticut citizens. Our employees:
- Serve the public through meaningful work
- Seek limitless opportunities to grow
- Enjoy a work/life balance
- Are interested in diversity and fresh perspectives
As indicated on the Work tab within the application, ensure you are providing descriptive, well-written details about your experiences, skills and accomplishments that relate to this position.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
- Please note that DSS takes part in the E-Verify system, which is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
- Please visit our Applicant Tips on How to Apply page.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Connect With Us:
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Elizabeth Weston at Elizabeth.Weston@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
- Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state social and human service agency this class is accountable for receiving on-the-job training designed to develop the knowledge and skills needed to perform various technical duties involved in social services delivery such as eligibility determinations for various programs, investigations, health care screening, employment services or program monitoring.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Receives intensive training in application of departmental programs, policies, guidelines and regulations; receives training in methods of effective interviewing, data collection and analysis and/or other required skills; explains programs and requirements to individuals and groups; assists individuals in completion of necessary departmental forms; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Basic knowledge of services provided by public sector social services agencies; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to follow oral and written instructions; mathematical ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience providing social services to individuals or families in need or performing basic technical or complex clerical duties which would lead to the acquisition of the knowledge, skills and abilities outlined above.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience.
- Experience working in fast-paced, person-centered environment with exposure to a culturally diverse population while working in-office.
- Experience or course work with Microsoft Office Suite including managing data, report writing, tracking work and scheduling meetings while working in-office.
- Experience or coursework with computer applications and software or other comparable automated programs, while working in-office.
- Experience managing multiple priorities and implementing time management best practices while working in-office.
- Experience with conducting interviews, gathering, and analyzing confidential information that involves considerable phone, email, and/or in person contact while working in-office.
- Experience with customer service.
Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.