The State of Connecticut, Department of Social Services (DSS) is recruiting for (2) Accounting Careers Trainee with a targeted class of an Accounts Examiner for the Quality Assurance Division - Internal Audit, located at 55 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT 06105. This position is full-time, 40 hours per week; Monday - Friday. This recruitment will fill future vacancies.
Who We Are
We deliver and funds a wide range of programs and services as Connecticut’s multi-faceted health and human services agency. Guided by our shared belief in human potential, we envision a Connecticut where all have the opportunity to be healthy, secure and thriving. We, along with our partners, provide person-centered programs and services to enhance the well-being of individuals, families and communities. Follow us on twitter@ctdss and see what we are all about!
What We Offer:
- On the Job Training – Trainees undergo a rigorous training in preparation to carry out duties and responsibilities.
- Competitive Salary – Employees earn competitive wages with opportunities for career advancement.
- Insurance Benefits – Health coverage generally begins the first day of the month following your hire date.
- Loan Repayment – Qualifying employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
- Geographic Flexibility – Field offices located across Connecticut.
- Hybrid Retirement Plan – New employees may elect to participate in the State Employees Retirement System which provides a retirement benefit including retiree health insurance.
- Work-Life Balance – 12 paid holidays per calendar year in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals with many things to love about living, working, and playing in our state.
- Diversity and Fresh Perspectives - Work in a team-based, inclusive environment working with diverse populations.
- Limitless Opportunities - Grow your career with the Department of Social Services.
- Making a Difference in Your Community - Check out what it's like to be a state employee in the video below.
- First Year of Training Bachelor's degree with 15 semester hours in accounting AR 15 Step 3 - $55,500
- Following successful completion of the training period, you will be considered for promotion to the target class of an Accounts Examiner AR 23- $74,522
Are ready to acquire skills, knowledge, and experience to develop a rewarding career?
Apply Today: No Resume or Cover Letter Required.
As indicated on the Work tab within the application, ensure you are providing descriptive, well-written details about your experiences, skills and accomplishments that relate to this position.
Please note that DSS takes part in the E-Verify system, which is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
Connect With Us:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Elizabeth Weston at Elizabeth.Weston@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
- Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for mastering the skills necessary to satisfactorily complete the training program for a professional accounting or auditing position.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Receives training in introductory accounting or auditing work for development of skills and knowledge in order to qualify for advancement into a professional agency accounting or auditing position; performs a variety of increasingly difficult duties as skills are acquired during the course of the training period; examines financial records of governmental or private businesses and accounting methods and procedures to ensure compliance with statutes, regulations, guidelines or accepted accounting principles; may receive training in such areas as maintaining financial records and accounts, establishing financial statements and schedules, and preparing budget estimates; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of accounting and auditing principles and practices; knowledge of business mathematics and statistics; some knowledge of business uses of information technology; some knowledge of effective report writing; ability to read and understand written materials; ability to utilize computer software.
Possession of a Bachelor's or Master's degree in accounting or in a closely related business field with at least 15 semester hours in accounting.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel.
- Providing verbal and written communication to a diverse population.
- Prioritizing multiple assignments with competing deadlines.
- Speaking and interacting with business owners, members of the public, and various other stakeholders.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.