Are you looking to start or change to a career in Equal Employment Opportunity?
Do you believe in fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment?
Are you a recent college graduate?
If so, the State of Connecticut Department of Administrative Services,
Equal Employment Opportunity Unit has an incredible opportunity for you!
Equal Employment Opportunity Unit & Your Role: Come join an agency that believes that all employees have the shared responsibility to promote and provide equal opportunity; diversity and inclusion. We are devoted to providing equal employment opportunity services to multiple State Agencies.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Trainee (Leadership Associate) you will participate in a training program crafted to develop the experience and competencies required to independently perform the Target Class position of Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist 1, so at the conclusion of the program they will be able to independently perform the required duties of the position for Agencies as assigned, including but not limited to: ensure Agency compliance with State & Federal laws, regulations and policies; provide guidance and assistance regarding the recruitment and hiring process; lead workshops; monitor completion of mandated trainings; support employees growth and development through career counseling; compile and analyze statistical affirmative action data; assist with the development and implementation of Agencies’ affirmative action plans and programs; conduct impartial investigations and provide fact based recommendations; serve as the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator; and other projects to assist with Equal Employment Opportunity Unit needs.
Who You Are: The successful candidate will be an inquisitive individual with a passion for fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. They will be a motivated, self-starter with a desire to learn and apply organizational, state, and federal policies, regulations, and laws. The successful candidate will have strong written and oral communication skills as well as the ability to review and analyze data. They will be able to work both independently and collaboratively with employees at all levels, have a keen eye for detail and an aptitude for managing competing priorities to meet strict deadlines. Organization, professionalism, and adaptability are all desirable characteristics for the selected candidate.
Position Details & Benefits: Full Time | Monday-Friday, 1st shift, 40 hours per week. However, work schedule flexibility is required in order to meet the demands of the job. We embrace diversity and are looking for people with a growth approach who bring their whole self to work! We participate in a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive healthcare policies including medical and dental coverage, retirement plan options, paid time off and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance for all employees!
Watch the video below to see what it's like to be a State of CT employee!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board daily to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders daily in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- If have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency incumbents in this class participate in a formal development program designed to provide the necessary knowledge and skills to qualify for appointment to a designated managerial or professional confidential class assigned to the MP Pay Plan.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Participates in a formal development program designed to develop the knowledge and skills needed in order to qualify for appointment and advancement to a designated managerial or professional/ confidential class; performs/learns the duties of the designated function; performs/learns leadership skills and develops leadership traits; prepares program progress reports; attends managerial meetings germane to designated function; prepares and gives presentations; assists in major projects; participates in budget preparation and management; attends formal training courses; may lead special projects; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable oral and written communication skills; interpersonal skills; considerable ability to understand and apply state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable ability to analyze and solve problems; considerable ability to effect and manage change; considerable ability to plan for and implement excellent customer service; considerable ability to learn a new knowledge base in functional area; considerable ability to learn and apply policy and procedure; managerial aptitude.
Candidates must be able to meet the experience and training requirements of the designated class at the completion of the development program.
- Experience in one or more of the following fields: Diversity and Inclusion, Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity, Human Resources, Labor Relations, Compliance with Policy Standards, Law and Government.
- Experience developing and conducting presentations in person and virtually.
- Experience creating Microsoft Excel spreadsheets for analytics, formatting and using formulas, functions, and pivot tables.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, including formatting, document merge and creating tables.
- Experience writing and proofing reports based on information gathered.
- Experience in developing strategic recruitment efforts, including the use of social media to reach targeted groups.
1. Prior to appointment to this class there must be an approved managerial or professional confidential designated class identified to which the incumbent will be appointed upon successful completion of an approved development program. Incumbents in this class must meet the experience and training requirements of the identified designated class at the end of the development program.
2. The work schedule for this classification is full-time. Incumbents must work a full-time forty (40) hours per week schedule.
3. Incumbents in this class will be eligible for reclassification to the designated class without competitive examination upon successful completion of the development program and satisfactory service. The length of the development program should be designed around the requirements of the designated class and the prior experience of the incumbent but in no case should be less than one (1) year or exceed three (3) calendar years in accordance with C.G.S. 5-234.
4. All appointments to this class shall be under terms of an approved development program and in accordance with a time schedule approved by the Department of Administrative Services.
5. No additional working test period shall be required upon successful completion of the development program.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.