The State of Connecticut
, Department of Administrative Services (DAS
) houses a number of distinct programs that comprise the business functions of state government, including information technology, human resources, procurement, facilities and real estate, construction services, fleet, workers compensation and more united in a common mission to:
- Support Connecticut's Growth - To serve our citizens, businesses, state agencies and other branches of government by providing the highest quality services at the lowest possible cost.
- Drive Continuous Innovation - To increase the efficiency and effectiveness of state government using best practices from the public and private sectors.
- Provide Rewarding Careers - To attract and retain a workforce of talented, dedicated public servants committed to leading our great state forward.
The DAS Business Office Budget Unit, which supports multiple agencies in a range of financial and fiscal services, is currently recruiting for one (1) Accountant
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Record complex and compound journal entries.
- Prepare balance sheets and financial statements involving multiple accounts.
- Analyze and interpret accounting records and reports.
- Assist higher level staff in planning, design and implementation of accounting procedures or systems.
- Review expenditures and prepares or reviews financial statements.
- Assist in budget management by compiling and reviewing agency manager program budget proposals, preparing estimates and calculations of projected expenditures and quarterly allotments, and preparing monthly reports. See other examples of duties below.
We participate in a competitive benefits package
that includes comprehensive healthcare policies including medical and dental coverage, retirement plan options, paid time off, and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance
for all employees and provide professional growth and development opportunities!
Important Information After You Apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
Connect With Us:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in professional accounting.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Records complex and compound journal entries; prepares balance sheets and financial statements involving multiple accounts; analyzes and interprets accounting records and reports; assists higher level staff in planning, design and implementation of accounting procedures or systems; reviews expenditures and prepares or reviews financial statements; assists in budget management by compiling and reviewing agency manager program budget proposals, preparing estimates and calculations of projected expenditures and quarterly allotments, and preparing monthly reports; monitors fiscal aspects of grant programs by preparing or reviewing financial reports, reviewing expenditures for compliance with grant contracts, providing technical assistance to grantees in maintaining accounting records; recommends accounting related improvements to business practices such as accounting controls and financial reviews; utilizes EDP systems for financial records, reports and analysis; assists in EDP experts in planning and implementation of financial aspects of EDP systems; in addition to professional accounting tasks, may supervise bookkeeping (e.g. maintenance, balancing and reconciling of accounts), accounts payable and/or receivable functions or other accounting related paraprofessional or clerical functions; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of professional accounting principles and practices including knowledge of governmental accounting and budgeting; knowledge of basic auditing principles and practices; interpersonal skills; oral communication skills; ability to prepare, analyze and evaluate financial statements and other accounting records and reports; ability to analyze and evaluate accounting methods and procedures; ability to utilize EDP systems for financial management; ability to read and interpret written materials.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of experience in accounting or auditing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been at the paraprofessional level. Work at the paraprofessional level requires exercise of some independent judgment in applying basic accounting principles and may be compared to the level of a full charge bookkeeper. For state employees this is the level of Assistant Accountant.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in accounting or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
A Master's degree in accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) year of the General and Special Experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor.
Two (2) years of experience as an Assistant Accountant may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
- Experience with governmental accounting and budgeting.
- Experience preparing, analyzing and reconciling accounting and budget records and reports.
- Experience prioritizing work assignments.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel creating Pivot tables using functions, VLookup, and assembling two or more formulas into one.
- Experience in creating PowerPoint presentations.
- Experience with PeopleSoft Financial systems.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.