Are you looking for a new opportunity to showcase your Property & Casualty experience and knowledge?
Do you enjoy working in collaborative teams?
If so, read below & apply today!
The Connecticut Insurance Department (CID) is now accepting applications for an exciting Insurance Associate Examiner opportunity within the Property & Casualty Division located at 153 Market Street in Downtown Hartford, easily accessible for all commuters and hybrid telework options available. This role is full-time, 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday. CID’s mission is consumer protection. The department carries out its mission by enforcing state insurance laws to ensure policy holders are treated fairly, by providing assistance, outreach, and education to help consumers make sound choices and by regulating the industry in a fair and consistent manner that fosters market competition for availability of insurance.
The Role: You will be responsible for reviewing and interpreting insurance policy forms, rating plans, and rules for Commercial Lines products such as Workers’ Compensation, Commercial Multi-Peril, General Liability, Medical Malpractice, and Commercial Automobile, etc.
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Perform complex related duties involving review of insurance company policy and rate filings, examination of insurance companies' market conduct and/or business practices or investigation and mediation of consumer complaints for compliance with relevant statutes and regulations.
- Examine all related types of insurance policy forms based upon assigned functional area for new and unusual products.
- May conduct studies of cost, content, and availability of various lines of insurance.
- May independently conduct investigation of complaints against insurance companies including complicated cases and issues.
- May lead or independently conduct market examinations of insurance companies for compliance with relevant state statutes and guidelines including rates charged and claims practices.
- Perform other related duties, etc.
Benefits: We provide limitless opportunities, we hire for diversity and new perspectives and we accomplish meaningful work while maintaining a work/life balance. We participate in a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive healthcare policies including medical and dental coverage, retirement plan options, paid time off and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance for all employees!
Watch the video below to see what it's like to be a State of CT employee!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- For assistance in applying please visit our Applicant Tips on How to Apply page.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board daily to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders daily in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- If have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Insurance Department, this class is accountable for independently performing complex tasks related to the review of insurance policy forms and rates, investigation and mediation of consumer complaints or examination of insurance company records and market and/or business practices or analysis of financial statements and related records.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs complex related duties involving review of insurance company policy and rate filings, examination of insurance companies' market conduct and/or business practices or investigation and mediation of consumer complaints for compliance with relevant statutes and regulations; examine all related types of insurance policy forms based upon assigned functional area for new and unusual products; may conduct studies of cost, content and availability of various lines of insurance; may independently conduct investigation of complaints against insurance companies including complicated cases and issues; may lead or independently conduct market examinations of insurance companies for compliance with relevant state statutes and guidelines including rates charged and claims practices; may assist in the training of lower level examiners; prepares reports of examinations and/or investigations; assists in the preparation of material for criminal and/or administrative cases; may review loss reserve methodology including testing of underlying data and examining the adequacy of an insurer's loss reserve; participates in the drafting of regulations and bulletins; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to interpret insurance licensee law, regulations and guidelines; considerable knowledge of accounting and auditing principles and practices; considerable knowledge of business practices and operational procedures of insurance licensees; considerable knowledge of policy contracts and forms; knowledge of methods and procedures for conducting investigations and examinations; knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply insurance statutes, regulations and bulletins; knowledge of insurance rates and rating procedures; some knowledge of contract and property law; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; ability to calculate complex mathematical formulas; ability to utilize computer software; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in one or more of the following areas: claims, claims adjusting, sales, underwriting, contract development, actuarial work or agency services within the insurance industry OR governmental regulation of the insurance industry OR governmental examination of financial condition of insurance companies.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been in a professional capacity. Professional capacity will be interpreted as work requiring the exercise of independent analysis and judgment in the application of professional principles and practices of underwriting, actuarial work or product development in the insurance industry or of government regulation of insurance policy forms and/or rates.
NOTE: For State Employees, this is interpreted at the level of Insurance Examiner or Insurance Examiner (Examination and Market Conduct).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in insurance, business administration, economics or a closely related field may be substituted for an additional year of the General Experience.
3. A Certified Life Underwriter (CLU) or Certified Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) designation may be substituted for an additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience interpreting and applying insurance laws, regulations, bulletins, and guidelines.
- Experience with business practices, rating methods, and operational procedures of insurance companies.
- Experience with developing or interpreting Property & Casualty insurance policy forms, rates, and rules, specifically with Commercial line products.
- Experience with contracts and property laws.
- Experience with team collaboration.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.