Are you a Human Resources professional looking for your next challenge?
Are you a highly motivated and detail-oriented problem solver?
If so, read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Administrative Services (DAS), is now accepting applications for an exciting, full-time (40 hours/week), 1st shift, Monday-Friday Human Resources Generalist 2 opportunity to be deployed at the Department of Public Health in Hartford, CT with hybrid telework options available. We would love to hear from you if you’re an experienced recruiting professional looking for a career with a purpose!
About Us: We have centralized our Human Resources functions to achieve the following goals:
- Support Connecticut's Growth - To serve our citizens, businesses, state agencies and other branches of government by providing the highest quality services at the lowest possible cost.
- Drive Continuous Innovation - To increase the efficiency and effectiveness of state government using best practices from the public and private sectors.
- Provide Rewarding Careers - To attract and retain a workforce of hardworking, dedicated public servants committed to leading our phenomenal state forward.
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Utilize your people skills to develop relationships with our internal teams, hiring managers, community partners and candidates alike.
- Thrive and achieve results in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Showcase your understanding of full cycle recruitment processes and organizational skills.
- Deliver a superb candidate experience.
Benefits: We provide limitless opportunities, we hire for diversity and new perspectives, and we accomplish meaningful work while maintaining a work/life balance. We also participate in a competitive benefits package with comprehensive healthcare policies including medical and dental coverage, retirement plan options, paid time off and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance for all employees!
Watch the video below to see what it's like to be part of DAS!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board daily to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders daily in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- If have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Administrative Services, this class is deployed at an agency and is accountable for independently performing a full range of human resources duties as an agency business partner.
In a state agency outside of the State's centralized Human Resources structure, this class will be accountable for independently performing a full range of human resources and other related duties.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Advises agency staff on human resources policies and procedures, proper organizational structure and use of appropriate job classifications, talent needs, to include but not limited to advising on the availability and expiration of eligible lists, etc.;
- Partners with DAS service delivery teams and specialized units to appropriately deliver solutions for agency human resources needs;
- Communicates with agency managers, bargaining unit representatives and other interested parties to ensure cooperative relationships;
- Approves agency’s classification and position management transactions and ensures proper organizational structure;
- Assists in ensuring compliance with applicable state and federal laws, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Advises employees on matters related to employment, career development, transfer, separation, recruitment, examinations, and/or compensation;
- Performs job audits, or other fact finding techniques, related to individual job classification and job classification studies;
- Facilitates human resource transactions, including promotions, demotions, transfers;
- Maintains human resource information systems within assigned agency;
Independently handles reclassification grievances;
- Administers various areas of the recruitment process, including clearing of mandatory lists, interviewing, selection and on-boarding hires;
- Prepares or oversees the preparation and maintenance of relevant documentation and records;
- Counsels and makes referrals to employee assistance programs;
- May assist, coordinate, implement, oversee, and/or provide training and/or staff development programs;
- May support related agency strategic needs;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of: human resources management and relevant state and federal laws, regulations, policies and procedures;
Knowledge of: employment practices related to civil rights, equal employment opportunity, job classification, recruitment and selection, compensation and benefit programs, pay administration, workers compensation, human resources information systems and labor relations;
Considerable: interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills and conflict resolution skills;
Ability to: work effectively in a matrixed organization; analyze and balance customer’s needs with laws, regulations, policies, procedures and collective bargaining agreements;
Ability to: supervise, strategically plan, including succession planning, and ability to apply innovative solutions to organizational problems.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years professional experience in human resources management or equal opportunity/affirmative action or labor relations management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the junior working level in human resources management.
For state employees, this is interpreted at the level of Human Resources Generalist 1, Human Resources Associate, or Equal Employment Opportunity Specialist 1.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
- A Master's degree in human resources management, labor relations, business administration, public administration or other closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- For state employees one (1) year as a Human Resources Generalist 1 or Human Resources Associate may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
- Two (2) or more years of full-cycle recruitment experience.
- Experience working with applicant tracking systems (ATS).
- Experience working with Human Resource Management Systems (HRMS).
- Experience providing human resources support to multiple customers with competing priorities.
- Experience advising on human resources policies, collective bargaining agreements, administrative rules, and regulations.
- Experience providing HR Generalist support in a Public Health or HealthCare organization.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.