The Connecticut Technical Education and Career System is currently seeking to fill two full time (37.5 hours per week, 10 months per year) Head Cook position at Norwich Technical High School in Norwich and Vinal Technical High School in Middletown. These positions will serve as the working supervisor of a busy high school kitchen serving nearly 600 meals daily while following all USDA requirements pertaining to the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs. The hours are Monday - Friday, 6:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
The State of Connecticut offers a competitive benefits package, excellent health care, generous leave policies, retirement plan, and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance to all employees!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Connect With Us:
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Elizabeth Weston at Elizabeth.Weston@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
- Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for acting as a working supervisor for food service employees engaged in the preparation and cooking of food.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Plans kitchen workflow and determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees, and reviews work; establishes and maintains kitchen procedures; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as liaison with operating units, agencies, and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; may make recommendations on policies or standards; may prepare reports and correspondence; inspects and requisitions food and supplies; supervises the cleaning of kitchen and other food service areas and of equipment; may plan menus and be responsible for serving of meals; performs the full range of duties as outlined in the Cook specification; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply cooking principles and techniques on a quantity basis; considerable knowledge of institutional cooking methods; knowledge of health and safety requirements in food service; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare menus and keep records; ability to utilize computer software; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of experience in the preparation and cooking of food.
- Experience of large volume food production in a school cafeteria setting.
- Experience performing supervisory tasks to include, ordering, inventory and completion of production records.
- Degree or Certification in Food Service Management, Culinary Arts, Foods & Nutrition, or other related field.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word and Excel.
Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
Incumbents must be free from communicable diseases.
A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and utensils used in the kitchen and from patients/clients.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.