Are you interested in a career in economic & community development?
Does promoting economic and community development programs excite you?
If so, read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) is now accepting applications for an Economic & Community Development Trainee (Connecticut Careers Trainee) with a target class of Economic & Community Development Agent. You will initially be appointed to the Office of Brownfield Remediation and Development (OBRD). This is a full-time (40 hours/week), Monday-Friday position located at 450 Columbus Boulevard in Hartford, CT with hybrid telework options available. You will be required to travel to project sites and must possess and maintain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license. Please list your valid and current Motor Vehicle Operator’s license in the “License & Certification” section of your application.
About Us: DECD is the state's lead agency responsible for strengthening Connecticut’s competitive position in the rapidly changing, knowledge-based global economy. We take a comprehensive approach to economic development that incorporates community development, transportation, education, arts and culture.
The Role: You will receive training in introductory governmental work to develop skills and knowledge in public administration, grant management, and administration to qualify for advancement into agency professional positions. You will perform a variety of increasingly difficult duties as skills are acquired during your training period. You will be trained in the duties of an OBRD Project Agent with a target class of an Economic and Community Development Agent.
- Review applications for brownfield funding programs.
- Handle and administer contract paperwork between client(s) and DECD.
- Ensure projects are in conformity with statutory, regulatory and department requirements.
- Familiarize with state and federal brownfield laws and regulations.
- Assist and advise clients through project implementation and related duties to assist with the functioning of the OBRD.
- Perform related duties as required, see other examples of duties below.
Why work for the State of CT? We provide limitless opportunities, we hire for diversity and new perspectives, and we accomplish meaningful work while maintaining a work/life balance. If you’re looking to grow within a great organization with a clear career trajectory this is your chance!
*This salary range may increase effective July 1, 2022.
Watch the video below to see what it’s like to be a State of CT employee!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board daily to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders daily in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- If have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for mastering the skills necessary to satisfactorily complete the training program for a professional position.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
In a department or institution receives training in introductory governmental work for development of skills and knowledge in field of public administration in order to qualify for advancement into agency professional positions; performs a variety of increasingly difficult duties as skills are acquired during course of training period; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Oral and written communication skills; ability to acquire knowledge and skills required for the target classification; ability to understand, evaluate and solve problems by exercising judgement and logic; ability to read, interpret and understand written material; ability to perform basic arithmetical computations; ability to interpret charts, graphs and tables; learning and reasoning ability; ability to establish and maintain cooperative relations with superiors, associates and general public; ability to utilize computer software.
Possession of a Bachelor's or Master's degree.
If the target job classification has a Substitution Allowed that requires the Bachelor's or Master's degree to be in a specific area(s), then these specific degree areas are required for appointment to the Connecticut Career Trainee classification.
Candidates cannot be appointed until all degree requirements are complete.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in planning, public administration, public policy, business administration, finance, economics, civil engineering, environmental engineering, environmental sciences, geological sciences, earth sciences, sustainable development, or related fields.
- Experience with office productivity suites such as Microsoft Office or Google Apps.
- Experience gathering data and summarizing into reports.
- Experience working on a program or project in the fields of planning, public administration, public policy, business administration, finance, or economics.
- Experience working on a program or project in the fields of civil engineering, environmental engineering, environmental sciences, geological sciences, earth sciences, sustainable development, or related fields.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.