MWRD's Internship Program offers paid internship positions. While the main focus is on wastewater management, there are opportunities to gain knowledge and practical experience in a wide range of functions in each department.
Paid interns are limited to 119 working days per calendar year and receive $18.00 per hour. They do not receive benefits or paid days off.
- Letter of recommendation from a class instructor, professor, or Internship Coordinator from current school or university.
- Cover letter stating interest in position.
- Enrollment in a degree-seeking program in an accredited college or university.
- Permanent residency within the territorial boundaries of the MWRD (students may attend school outside the territorial boundaries).
- You must be a citizen or national of the United States, or an individual who is otherwise legally authorized to work in the United States.
Candidates are required to submit the Online Internship Application, cover letter, resume and letter of recommendation through MWRD’s Online Employment Center.
Questions regarding the internship program may be directed to MWRDInternships@mwrd.org.
Network Operations Intern
Main Office Building
100 East Erie Street
Chicago, IL 60601
The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District is seeking an intern in the Information Technology Department. The intern will work under the supervision of Section 283 - Network Operations - Server/SAN employees assisting staff with the following tasks:
- Troubleshooting hardware, applications, and associated infrastructure
- Review and update asset inventory lists
- Create, update, and deploy physical and virtual systems
- Prepare systems for software updates
- Verify and validate systems post-software updates
- Monitor system performance according to established requirements
- Analyze logfiles and provide summary reports to managment for review
- Create/edit network and system diagrams
- Attend section meetings and take notes/minutes
- Provide remote hands support/administration at various facilities
- Inventory physical media and documentation for classification, storage, and destruction
- Help build internal wiki with technical documentation, manuals, and I.T. Policies
- Oversee agency cybersecurity initiatives and goals
Rate of Pay:
This is a paid internship at $18.00/hr.
- Good communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with employees departmentally and agency-wide
- Sufficient technical understanding of information systems to help address organizational issues
- Familiarity with various applications and operating systems including Cloud (Microsoft Windows Azure)
- Experience with various system architectures, networks (LAN, WAN), and patch management
- Aptitude and resourcefulness related to troubleshooting and problem solving
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program majoring in computer science, information systems, graphic design, data science, project management, instructional design.