MWRD's Internship Program offers paid internship positions. While the main focus is on wastewater management, there are opportunities to gain knowledge and practical experience in a wide range of functions in each department.
Paid interns are limited to 119 working days per calendar year and receive $18.00 per hour. They do not receive benefits or paid days off.
- Letter of recommendation from a class instructor, professor, or Internship Coordinator from current school or university.
- Cover letter stating interest in position.
- Enrollment in a degree-seeking program in an accredited college or university.
- Permanent residency within the territorial boundaries of the MWRD (students may attend school outside the territorial boundaries).
- You must be a citizen or national of the United States, or an individual who is otherwise legally authorized to work in the United States.
Candidates are required to submit the Online Internship Application, cover letter, resume and letter of recommendation through MWRD’s Online Employment Center.
Questions regarding the internship program may be directed to MWRDInternships@mwrd.org.
Civil Engineering Intern
Main Office Building Annex
111 East Erie Street
Chicago, IL 60611
The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District is seeking an intern to serve in the Stormwater Section of the Engineering Department. The prospective intern will be trained in Geographic Information System (GIS) software to catalog and process stormwater project data and stormwater master planning related data. The intern will assist in map preparation and publishing, data entry and maintenance, as well as geospatial analyses for our stormwater management programs. The intern will assist with the District's Stormwater Master Planning effort, working with engineering staff to understand the MWRD's role in solving flooding issues. The intern will also assist in preparing grant/funding applications for stormwater projects located in economically challenged areas in Cook County.
Rate of Pay:
This is a paid internship at $18.00/hr.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills.
- Basic understanding of modeling desired, but not required.
- Previous experience with GIS and AutoCAD; preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with design plans but not required.
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program majoring in civil engineering.
- Completed one year of college coursework in civil engineering