MWRD's Internship Program offers paid internship positions. While the main focus is on wastewater management, there are opportunities to gain knowledge and practical experience in a wide range of functions in each department.
Paid interns are limited to 119 working days per calendar year and receive $18.00 per hour. They do not receive benefits or paid days off.
- Letter of recommendation from a class instructor, professor, or Internship Coordinator from current school or university.
- Cover letter stating interest in position.
- Enrollment in a degree-seeking program in an accredited college or university.
- Permanent residency within the territorial boundaries of the MWRD (students may attend school outside the territorial boundaries).
- You must be a citizen or national of the United States, or an individual who is otherwise legally authorized to work in the United States.
Candidates are required to submit the Online Internship Application, cover letter, resume and letter of recommendation through MWRD’s Online Employment Center.
Questions regarding the internship program may be directed to MWRDInternships@mwrd.org.
Civil Engineering Intern
Main Office Building Annex
111 East Erie Street
Chicago, IL 60611
The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD) is seeking an intern in the Engineering Department. The intern will assist the Stormwater Section with both office work and field inspections. Some of the tasks they will be responsible for include but are not limited to:
- Assisting with submittal reviews
- Cost estimating
- Grant applications
- Analyzing parcels for flood impacts and need for easements
- Assisting staff with reservoir and post-project vegetation conditions
- Reviewing project designs
Rate of Pay:
This is a paid internship at $18.00/hr.
- Experience understanding of GIS and AutoCAD.
- Basic site inspection skills
- Experience with letter and technical writing.
- Can work both independently and within a team environment
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program majoring in civil engineering, environmental engineering, and/or landscape architecture.
- Successful completion of one year of college coursework in civil engineering.