Chief Procurement Officer (CPO)
Executive Aide X
|Department of General Services
|1/17/2024 10:00:00 AM
|$149,106.00 - $215,793.00/year
State of Maryland
Department of General Services
Chief Procurement Officer
Position is Open Until Filled
Salary Range: $149,106 - $215,793 (depending on experience and qualifications)
Location: Will maintain offices in both Baltimore and Annapolis, Maryland
This is an Executive Service position and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority (“at-will”).
The Maryland Department of General Services (DGS) supports State and local government agencies, as well as local non-profit organizations and the citizens of Maryland, by providing facilities management, real estate and surplus property services, as well as security and law enforcement for State buildings. DGS is also responsible for a full spectrum of facilities engineering, design and construction services, almost $1 billion in annual contract administration, and overseeing the State procurement process.
Here at DGS, we truly Do Great Service… Consider joining our team!
LOCATION OF POSITION
The Chief Procurement Officer will maintain offices in both Baltimore and Annapolis, Maryland, and will be expected to travel between both locations as needed.
Main Purpose of Job
The Maryland Department of General Services (DGS) is looking to hire a talented and experienced leader on our executive leadership team to fill the role as the State of Maryland’s Chief Procurement Officer (CPO) within the DGS Office of State Procurement. This high-profile position is tasked with coordinating changes to state procurement laws and regulations, setting statewide procurement policies and improving the efficiency and transparency of State procurement, and chairing the state’s procurement improvement council. This includes developing and enhancing procurement performance metrics, improving strategic sourcing, compiling actionable statistics on state purchasing, and ensuring the success of the Maryland Procurement Academy, among other responsibilities.
● Identifies best practices to formulate and implement the strategic and operational plans to support the State of Maryland’s procurement goals.
● Develops procurement strategy, policy, and training requirements, and approves recommended changes to procurement laws and regulations.
● Standardizes forms and procedures across Maryland state agencies and procurement types.
● Creates and manages short and long-term goals and objectives for the Office of State Procurement (OSP).
● Creates and improves best-practice based processes for state procurement; identifies and realizes cost-saving and cost-reduction opportunities.
● Reviews all procurements that require Board of Public Works approval.
● Seeks and implements innovative improvements to the state’s procurement system.
● Oversees OSP’s talent management process to ensure that the appropriate resources are in place.
● Manages the skills and competency development of procurement staff, including training development and knowledge management capabilities; develops benchmarks and performance metrics to be used for continuous improvement.
● Proactively works with leadership and division staff to define procurement needs, scopes of services, deliverables and contractual requirements; provides advice and consultation on procurement issues; and evaluate strategies and approaches to develop innovative methods to meet customers’ operational needs while achieving cost savings and improved efficiencies for the State of Maryland.
● Develops, maintains, and oversees OSP’s annual budget; provides leadership and direction on project scopes, schedules and budgets; makes recommendations and forecasts for future funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; reviews and approves expenditures and implements adjustments.
● Collaborates with legal counsel on matters as needed; reports to executive leadership on issues impacting statewide procurement; and attends and participates in professional meetings representing DGS and the State of Maryland as needed.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
● Bachelor's degree in business or public administration, contract management, or closely related field.
● Master’s Degree or Juris Doctor Degree preferred.
● Ten (10) + years of progressively responsible work experience in contract management and procurement services.
● Five (5) + years of senior or executive-level management experience.
● Experience in state government (public) procurement and contracting.
● Demonstrated success in improving procurement systems and policies.
● Experience in analyzing business operations and workflows, and creating efficiencies and improved operations.
● Exceptional written and verbal communication skills for interacting with executive and senior leadership, agency management, staff, and government officials.
● Experience creating and implementing policies and procedures to guide processes that are efficient and appropriate to the tasks and goals involved.
The State of Maryland offers a generous benefits package that includes:
❖ Tuition reimbursement for those who qualify
❖ Flexible work schedules and telework opportunities for many positions
❖ Free mass transit in Baltimore & Annapolis
❖ Generous paid leave that increases with years of service
❖ Paid holidays
❖ Health coverage with low out-of-pocket costs
❖ Employee & employer contributory pension plan
Click on the link below for more information.
Interested applicants should e-mail a resume and cover letter to email@example.com –
include “Chief Procurement Officer” in the subject line of the e-mail.
For questions, call our HR Office at 410-767-4985.
For more information about DGS, please visit: https://dgs.maryland.gov/.
DGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer