LOCATION OF POSITION
Millington WMA Work Center (Kent County)
Main Purpose of Job
This position works closely with existing staff to conduct habitat management projects,
maintenance/repair of facilities/equipment, coordination of public use and wildlife surveys on
Wildlife Management Areas, other DNR owned or controlled properties and certain private
properties in the Region for the purpose of wildlife conservation/protection and public
This position requires a basic knowledge of land management practices, farming equipment
maintenance/repair/use, basic wildlife species identification, vehicle maintenance/repair/use,
and the application of standard wildlife management techniques.
The Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife and Heritage Service, is currently accepting applications for a Natural Resources Technician (contractual) located at the Millington Work Center, Massey, MD. Employee will perform a variety of tasks including the maintenance of roads, parking areas, dikes, water control structures, boundaries, vehicles, equipment, watercraft, buildings and grounds. Employee will assist with wildlife surveys, population monitoring data collection, habitat improvement projects, and projects in support of hunting opportunities on public properties.
Employee may be required to work occasional odd hours and / or weekends.
Experience: Three years of experience, one year of experience in technical biological work in the field of natural resources management and an additional two years of experience performing technical biological work in the field of forestry, arboriculture, wildlife, aquaculture, natural resources management, or fisheries.
- Candidates may substitute the completion of 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university, 18 credit hours must be in biology, biochemistry, environmental science, forest technology, arboriculture, aquaculture, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology, physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management, zoology, or a natural resources management related field of study and one year of experience in technical biological work in the field of natural resources management for the required experience.
- Candidates may substitute additional education beyond the completion of the 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university in a natural resources related field of study on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
- Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in the natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the biological science technician field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- One year of experience involving the operation of farming or heavy equipment such as tractors, loaders, dozers, etc.
- One year of experience maintaining and repairing farming or heavy equipment such as tractors, loaders, dozers, etc.
- Training and experience in conducting prescribed fires and/or wildland firefighting.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of an automobile or other motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess the appropriate operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not accept information submitted after this date. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered for this position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Report all education and experience related to the essential functions and qualifications of this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
*Should benefits be available, this information will be discussed at the time of hire
The online application is strongly preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account, need to make adjustments to a submitted application or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management at Application.Help@maryland.gov ; ATTN: Recruitment and Examination Division (RED).
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Courtney Blackistone at email@example.com.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.