BUDGET ANALYST I, II, & III, CAPITAL PROGRAMS
|Department||DBM Capital Budget Analysis and Formulation|
|Date Opened||5/22/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/2/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||I-$53,627.00-$85,951.00/yr; II-$60,801.00-$97,940.00/yr.; III-$69,159.00-$111,505.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Althea Gibson|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
This position will analyze and prepare budgets of assigned agencies and assist in the management of the State's capital budget process. This position offers opportunities for direct involvement with Maryland's critical fiscal and policy issues as well as excellent opportunities for future growth and development. If hired you will:
- Analyze major State agency capital budget funding requests in order to recommend funding levels in the State capital budget and five-year Capital Improvement Program;
- Evaluate facility master plans and facility programs (project proposals) in order to verify the need for requested capital improvements using established guidelines;
- Monitor the execution of capital projects and programs to assure consistency with approved programs and budgets;
- Assist in preparation of meeting materials for the Executive Director’s capital budget briefings with the Secretary of Budget and Management and the Governor;
- Lead preparation of assigned budget documents such as the capital budget bill, five-year Capital Improvement Program, and Budget as Proposed/Enacted project list.
This is a special appointment position that serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
Education: (All levels) Possession of a master's degree in public policy, public administration, accounting, business administration, economics, finance, statistics, engineering, planning, political science, or similar field of study preferred.
Candidates possessing a bachelor’s degree in one of the above fields, or a master’s degree in a different area with a minimum of 15 credit hours in these fields, will be considered.
Starting grade will be determined by specific relevant experience, skills, and knowledge. General guidelines are as follows: Less than two years (Budget Analyst I); two-three years (Budget Analyst II); three-four years (Budget Analyst III) of experience in budget formulation, capital/facility planning, accounting, personnel management analysis, or administrative work. One year of this experience must include work in budget planning, formulation, review, or management; project management; or strategic facilities planning.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
·Experience working in State government, in the areas of higher education, primary and secondary education, health care financing and administration, community development, environment and natural resources, transportation, procurement and contracts, capital/facilities planning, and debt management;
· Experience in budgeting and policy analysis;
· Knowledge of performance budgeting concepts;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· Experience in writing reports and making presentations on budget recommendations to senior departmental and other executive branch officials;
· Strong analytical abilities, including understanding of mathematical and statistical concepts;
· Experience with word processing, spreadsheets, and database software;
· Experience in the public sector financial management or facilities management, to include budget analysis, finance, project management, or capital/facility planning;
· Ability to work independently, in teams, and under pressure;
· Ability to be productive and fulfill job responsibilities in a telework environment;
· Availability to work extended hours as required to meet budget deadlines.
All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Successful candidates will be placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year. The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
RESUME REQUIRED with online application and can be uploaded as an attachment under the Resume Tab of the online application. Please combine all documents together as ONE attachment (resume, degree, etc.).The online application process is STRONGLY preferred.
If unable to apply online, please mail resume, application and supplemental questionnaire to:
Department of Budget and Management
Recruitment and Examination Division
301 W. Preston St., Room 608
Baltimore, MD 21201
Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the DBM Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov or 410-767-4850, MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.