Planning and Budget Analyst
Program Manager IV
|Department||MD State Department of Education|
|Date Opened||8/21/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/15/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$84,047.00 - $135,450.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Christopher Langley|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
This is a Management Service position and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority.
LOCATION OF POSITION
- Prepares monthly, interim, and on-demand financial reports and analysis and assists as needed to provide extensive, thorough, and accurate customer service and technical support to department stakeholders
- Participates in the preparation and development of MSDE’s annual operating budget plan and divisional exercises (i.e., zero-based budgeting; State Superintendent of Schools strategic plan performance routine sessions; etc.) and participates in the preparation and development of responses to legislative and other state agency requests
- Supports ongoing budget execution processes across MSDE to ensure budget spending in alignment with the department’s multiyear strategic plan priorities and Blueprint for Maryland’s Future initiatives spending plans
- Coordinates best practice guidance training, manuals, updates, and resources to budget staff across teams
- Supports the State Superintendent of Schools, Deputy Superintendent of Finance and Administration, and Assistant Superintendent of Financial Planning, Operations, and Strategy in the development and dissemination of communication to internal and external stakeholders in the form of presentations, memos, and reporting to support MSDE budget and related initiatives
- Implements department-wide budget database to support MSDE’s annual budget execution as well as continuous improvements to budget data systems
- Conducts data analysis and financial reporting related to internal research to inform resource allocation, ESSA, and other federal requirements, transparency initiatives, and public information requests
- Uses data and information from various systems and sources to diagnose budget-related challenges, recommend potential solutions, and implement solutions with cross-functional stakeholders Participates in the legislative fiscal note process.
- Reviews bill analyses, ensure timely submission of fiscal notes, assist with the review and analysis of cost estimates and fiscal notes for proposed legislation.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- State or local Government finance experience
- Experience in financial planning, budgeting, and policy analysis; Knowledge of performance budgeting concepts; Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in writing reports and making presentations on budget recommendations to senior departmental management and other executive branch officials
- Strong analytical abilities, including understanding of mathematical and statistical concepts
- Experience with word processing, spreadsheets and database software
- Ability to work independently, in teams and under pressure; Availability to work extended hours as required to meet budget deadlines
- Skill with either Microsoft Excel or R
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.||Apply Online|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|