DIRECTOR OF SALES
PROGRAM MANAGER IV
|Department||MLGCA Administration and Operations|
|Date Opened||3/7/2023 12:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/27/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$82,399.00 - $127,637.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Marcus Staten|
The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency (MLGCA) serves as one of the largest revenue sources for the State of Maryland, supporting important state programs and services including education, public health and safety, human resources and the environment. In addition to generating revenue from the sale of lottery products, the MLGCA is also responsible for the oversight of the state’s casino gaming program, providing direction and guidance to its casino partners on financial, security, regulatory and licensing procedures for the facilities. The Agency also regulates Sports Wagering, Daily Fantasy Sports and Electronic Bingo, as well as Instant Ticket Lottery Machines, which are located at almost 90 Veteran’s posts. Gaming in Maryland is a dynamic and growing business that operates around the clock, 365 days of the year.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Maryland Lottery and Gaming Agency
1800 Washington Boulevard, Suite 330
Baltimore, MD 21230
Main Purpose of Job
This position is executive level and classified as emergency essential. It includes the following duties: Direct and lead the statewide Sales Division consisting of more than 50 employees that produced over $2.6 billion in yearly sales in FY22; departmental staffing; assigning and reviewing the work of others; making recommendations to the Managing Director, Sales and Marketing regarding agency procedures; oversees Sales Division interaction with approximately 4,400 licensed retailers; and works with vendors, as necessary. This position relates to the mission of the agency by ensuring the retailer network is maintained at an optimum level; integrity is maintained at all times; and that sales at each retailer location are maximized through utilization of POS, training, in-store promotions and periodic events.
- Oversee Sales Management team and authorize their decisions.
- Direct initiatives of Sales Division and its staff.
- Responsible for hiring, completing performance appraisals and disciplining Sales Division staff.
- Conduct periodic meetings with staff and a monthly meeting with division to review initiatives.
- Review and approve Division’s budget allocations.
- Meet internally with other departments as needed to drive the Lottery initiatives.
- Meet with draw game and instant ticket vendors as needed.
- Weekly Sales analysis.
- Clearly communicate sales strategies and priorities throughout the Sales organization.
- Ensure written standard operation procedures are developed with instructions that describes the step-by-step process that must betaken to properly perform routine Sales Department tasks.
Retailer Network Management
- Oversee all Retailer operations.
- Ensure that sales are maximized at each location through:
Timely POS placement.
Training on all Lottery equipment and selling tips.
- Review and approve all equipment installations and removals.
Lottery terminal and related equipment.
Self-service vending machines (PHD and PEX).
Monitor games screens.
- Blitz Week activities.
Ensuring instant ticket activations of all price points statewide during new game launch week.
- Instant ticket inventory management.
Ensuring product placement.
Timely removal when necessary.
- Perform periodic visits to retail locations to confirm that retail standards are being met, to directly assess the effect of the field sales team and its management, to look for opportunities for improvement, and to interact directly with Maryland Lottery players.
- Work closely with the Field Sales Manager, and Director of Corporate Sales on retailer network expansion in both independent locations and corporate chain accounts.
Promotional and Merchandising Support
- Participate in decision-making with Marketing and Product Development to support Lottery’s promotional initiatives as needed.
- Participate in decision-making with Marketing and Sales Management team to support Lottery’s merchandising initiatives as needed.
Other duties as assigned
Develop reports and analysis for various internal and external uses.
Assist other Lottery Divisions as necessary.
Manage other special projects as defined by Managing Director, Sales and Marketing.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
· Knowledge of sales strategies to optimize sales initiatives for an agency that
produces over 2.6 billion in yearly sales.
· Prior Lottery knowledge and experience preferred.
· Ability to direct initiatives of the sales division and staff to ensure sales are maximized.
· The ability to work with field Sales Managers and Corporate Sales to expand the retailer network.
· Experience managing a sales portfolio.
· Strong relationship building experience both internal and external.
· Proficient in Microsoft programs: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· Expertise in Maryland state history, culture, geography, and demographics.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application. Online applicationprocess is STRONGLY preferred. If online access is not available, applicants may submit a paper application and direct any inquiries to:
Maryland Lottery and Gaming Agency
Attn:1800 Washington Boulevard, Suite 330
Baltimore, MD 21230
Office: 410-230-8766 or email: email@example.com
TTY Users: Call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.