Chief, Project Cost Center
Program Manager III
|Department||DGS - Design, Construction, and Energy|
|Date Opened||3/28/2023 3:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||4/11/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$77,204.00 - $119,591.00/year(based on agency authority, qualifications and State salary rules)|
|HR Analyst||Tiara Massey|
The Maryland Department of General Services (DGS) supports State and local government agencies, as well as local non-profit organizations and the citizens of Maryland, by providing facilities management, real estate and surplus property services, as well as security and law enforcement for State buildings. DGS is also responsible for a full spectrum of facilities engineering, design and construction services, almost $1 billion in annual contract administration, and overseeing the State procurement process. Here at DGS, we truly Do Great Service… Consider joining our team!
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position functions as the Chief, Project Cost Center for the Office of DCE. The Chief advises the Assistant Secretary of DCE and Project Managers, by providing recommendations for the cost management of the State of Maryland's Capital Budget.
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
• Prepares and finalizes the Annual Capital Budget for DGS submission to the Department of Budget and Management (DBM). Provides guidance and expertise to State agencies that DGS supports for their Annual Capital Budget submission process to DBM. The Annual Capital Budget consists of the project justification and cost estimation details.
• Approves construction cost estimates, schedules and construction cost models prepared by others for capital projects.
• Manages the current and previous Capital Budgets and Cost Center files.
• Develops and maintains construction cost data for tracking of trends, forecasting costs for a variety of facility and construction types for DGS-managed projects.
• Manages Maryland Board of Public Works project schedules in preparation for retention, in accordance with DGS’s retention processes and procedures.
• Provides guidance to State agencies to develop cost estimates for current and future facility projects.
• Prepares reports outlining the policies, procedures, engineering, and construction practices of DGS for the Budget Committees for each Legislative session.
• Manages the DGS Accessibility Disabilities Act Capital Budget Program on behalf of the Secretary.
• Oversees the work of other in-house estimators and administrators.
•Manages subordinate staff in the Cost Center Unit of DCE.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
Experience: Three (3) or more years of experience in developing cost analysis for capital projects and large-scale multi-year construction projects. This general experience must include experience reviewing and analyzing building and associated site designs, construction documents, specifications, program requirements, feasibility reports and cost estimates, and experience with parametric cost estimating for vertical construction.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
• Familiarity with analysis and use of industry-accepted estimation methods: Analogy, Parametric(Statistical), Engineering, and Actual Costs. Development, analysis, and use of project cost variables including general conditions of the contract for various facility types. AEC fees, contingencies, and escalations.
• Knowledge and understanding of the State of Maryland’s capital budgeting process.
• Knowledge of the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR).
• Previous supervisory or management experience overseeing the work of subordinate staff is strongly preferred.
It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please include all experience and education that is related to this position. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date; information submitted after the closing date will not be considered. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week; you must include the time spent on such activities on your application.
Note that for any position requiring a college degree or college credit, you will be required to submit a college transcript prior to being offered a position. You may submit your transcript as part of the application process.
The examination for this position will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring authority to select employees for interviews. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
Please note, selected candidates may be required to complete and successfully pass a State and Federal fingerprint background check prior to being hired.
You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
The State of Maryland offers a generous benefits package that includes:
- Tuition reimbursement for those who qualify;
- Flexible work schedules and telework opportunities for many positions;
- Free mass transit in Baltimore & Annapolis;
- Generous paid leave that increases with years of service;
- Paid holidays;
- Health coverage with low out-of-pocket costs;
- Employee & employer contributory pension plan.
Click on the link below for more information.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-767-4985 with questions about this recruitment. The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dgs.maryland.gov – click on Employment on the left side of the screen. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Suite 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time. TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.