PROGRAM MANAGER IV
MANAGING DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
|Department||MLGCA Administration and Operations|
|Date Opened||3/7/2023 12:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/27/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$82,399.00 - $127,637.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Marcus Staten|
The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency (MLGCA) serves as one of the largest revenue sources for the State of Maryland, supporting important state programs and services including education, public health and safety, human resources and the environment. In addition to generating revenue from the sale of lottery products, the MLGCA is also responsible for the oversight of the state’s casino gaming program, providing direction and guidance to its casino partners on financial, security, regulatory and licensing procedures for the facilities. The Agency also regulates Sports Wagering, Daily Fantasy Sports and Electronic Bingo, as well as Instant Ticket Lottery Machines, which are located at almost 90 Veteran’s posts. Gaming in Maryland is a dynamic and growing business that operates around the clock, 365 days of the year.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Maryland Lottery and Gaming Agency
1800 Washington Boulevard, Suite 330
Baltimore, MD 21230
Main Purpose of Job
The Managing Director of Communications is an executive level position that oversees a department of public affairs professionals primarily responsible for all media and public relations activities in support of the Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency and Commission. Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following: being the “face” of the Agency responding to inquiries from the media, public, the Governor’s office, the Maryland General Assembly and other State Government offices, as required, ensuring that information is conveyed in a timely and accurate manner; making recommendations to the Director, and other Agency Executives as required, relating to public affairs, media relations, press releases, Lottery game and certain promotional drawings, internal and external communications strategies, sponsorship programs and special events; procurement of goods and services in support of the above; and personnel matters that include departmental staffing, assigning tasks and reviewing the work of others. This position relates to the mission of the agency by increasing public awareness of the Agency and educating the publicabout contributions the Agency makes to the State.
This position is a vital part of the MLGCA Executive Management team. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
· Serve as the “face” of the Agency in response to media inquiries.
· Develop a communications plan that presents a positive image of the Agency across all media channels in support of Lottery and Gaming products, programs and services. Create and implement both short- and long-term strategic communications planning.
· Develop and oversee a crisis communications plan.
· Cultivate a comprehensive data base of local and regional media contacts in support of relevant topical and geographic segments. Foster and maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
· Collect, organize and disseminate important financial information about Lottery, Casino Gaming and Sports Wagering financial reports to media and other key groups via news releases, dashboards, charts and reports.
· Ensure written standard operating procedures and policies are developed that describe the step-by-step process that must be taken to properly perform routine Department tasks.
· Oversee drawings team responsible for conducting daily RNG (random number generator) drawings for a portfolio of Lottery products.
· Oversee events team responsible for onsite activity at community events, festivals, sporting events, State Fair, trade shows, press conferences and other outreach efforts.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year college or university in Communications, Marketing, or a related field.
Seven (7) years of Communications, Public Relations experience
Excellent organization and communication skills required.
NOTE: Applicants may substitute additional experience as described above for the required college education on a year-for-year basis.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
· Knowledge of best practices in media relations, public relations, and crisis communications strategies.
· Ability to write press releases, pitch a story, organize media events, conduct on-camera interviews, and build a working relationships with members of the media.
· Skilled presenter with ability to speak to groups persuasively about the lottery's brand and benefits.
· Ability to create compelling content for storytelling in all communication channels and media.
· Proficient in Microsoft programs: Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
· Expertise in Maryland state history, culture, geography and demographics.
· Expertise in Maryland’s Open Meetings and Public Records laws.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties that require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application. Online applicationprocess is STRONGLY preferred. If online access is not available, applicants may submit a paper application and direct any inquiries to:
Maryland Lottery and Gaming Agency
Attn: 1800 Washington Boulevard, Suite 330
Baltimore, MD 21230
Office: 410-230-8766 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
TTY Users: Call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.