Coordinator of Elementary Science
Education Program Specialist II
|MSDE - Deputy for Teaching and Learning
|8/25/2023 09:00:00 AM
|3/8/2024 11:59:00 PM
|$84,047.00 - $135,450.00/year
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
State Salary Grade 22
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Coordinates the development and implementation of high-quality and evidence-based professional learning (i.e., lesson studies; MSDE learning labs; data-driven instruction; etc.), including year-round in-person sessions across the state within districts and school sites.
- Provides leadership support, guidance, and direction to local education agencies (LEA) staff, early learning providers, and other stakeholders across Maryland aligned to best-in-class science teaching and learning practices.
- Provides consultation and support for the management of programs and initiatives and stakeholder workgroups focused on ensuring equity and access to rigorous science programs, pathways, and initiatives in Maryland Schools, especially for those who have been historically underserved.
- Collaborates on issues related to the development and integration of accessible resources (i.e., instructional frameworks, curricula, and assessments, presentations, informational materials).
- Supports the review and evaluation of high-quality, culturally responsive instructional materials, assessments, and resources to ensure alignment to Maryland Next Generation Science Standards, Environmental Literacy Standards, Early Learning Standards, and evidence-based practices.
- Researches exemplary science and environmental literacy programs, resources, and instructional materials and supports the continuous improvement of MSDE’s science strategies and initiatives to accelerate student achievement.
- Develops and provides high-quality, evidence-based professional learning and leadership support for local education agencies and early learning providers to effectively implement the Blueprint for Maryland’s Future and MSDE’s multiyear Strategic Plan priorities and enablers.
- Supports the Director of Science in developing, deploying, and facilitating highly effective and relevant professional learning explicitly designed to accelerate student achievement, especially for underperforming schools across the state.
- Collaborates with diverse communities and organizations) to develop, implement, and analyze programs and strategies to scale students’ participation in STEM-aligned college and career readiness pathways.
- Facilitates and manages data collection, program monitoring and implementation, continuous improvement, and engagement initiatives and special projects.
- Collects data to monitor and assess program implementation in compliance with regulations and state and federal laws and supports the preparation of responses on behalf of MSDE leadership, the State Superintendent of Schools, the State Board of Education, and the Governor’s office.
- Candidates may substitute a bachelor’s degree with 7 years of the specified content experience to satisfy the minimum qualifications noted above.
- Candidates may substitute the possession of a Doctorate degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to the position option for one year of the required experience.
- The required field of education and experience are unique for each option and are established by MSDE in accordance with Education Article, Section 2-104 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The specific education and experience qualifications for each position are on record in the Human Resource Management Branch of the Division of Business Services.
- Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Education Program classifications or Education Program specialty codes in the Education field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of prekindergarten through grade 12 Science-STEM and Environmental Literacy programs and curriculum.
- Knowledge of standards, trends, regulations, policies, and effective instruction and assessment in Science – STEM and Environmental Literacy.
- Knowledge of Maryland College and Career Readiness Pathway Standards and/or State and national standards, trends, regulations, policies, and issues affecting Science, STEM and Environmental Literacy.
- Skill in implementing, monitoring, evaluating, and providing high-quality and service-level-based support and technical assistance for education programs.
- Skill collaborating with diverse communities and organizations for the purpose of implementing programs and strategies.
- Skill in developing and delivering research-based and best-in-class professional development programs.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Ability to interpret and apply learning standards, policies, and regulations.
- Ability to work as a team member and establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.
|Apply via Paper Application.
|You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.