FINANCE OFFICER/FISCAL SERVICES OFFICER I
|DHS - Howard County DSS
|11/16/2023 1:02:00 PM
|11/30/2023 11:59:00 PM
|$60,801.00 - $79,157.00/year with potential growth up to $97,940.00/year
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Provides professional accounting management of fiscal operations for Local DSS office consisting of monitoring, processing, and tracking funds in order to meet the goals and objectives of the Department of Human Services and Howard County Department of Social Services Strategic Plans.
- Interview, hire, advise, counsel and disciplines staff. Monitors operations within the fiscal unit by completing frequent reviews of work completed by staff to ensure activities/transactions follow documented procedures and policies.
- Responsible for general accounting functions carried on by local fiscal staff to ensure safeguarding of assets and accountability of funds, in accordance with GAAP and state and local procedures; this is done by establishing and implementing procedures which guarantee secure internal control. Monitor receipts, disbursements, grants, bank accounts, and other financial transactions.
Applicants must meet all minimum (and selective) qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire. Please read all requirements before applying.
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with 30 credit hours in accounting and related courses, including or supplemented by 3 credit hours in auditing.
Experience: Three years of experience examining, analyzing and interpreting accounting systems, records and reports by applying generally accepted accounting principles.
1. Applicants who had met the requirements for admission to the CPA examination prior to July 1, 1974 will be considered to have met the educational requirement referenced above.
2. Possession of a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Master's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
3. Applicants may substitute one year of professional budgeting experience or one year of professional auditing experience for one year of the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Administration classifications or Financial Management specialty codes in the Financial field on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
One year of experience working in Health and Human Services.
One year of experience working in County, State, or Federal Government.
One year of experience working with Google Suite.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
- Positions may be eligible for telework.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.