Director of The Office of Fiscal Operations and Accountability
Fiscal Services Admin VI
|Department||MD State Department of Education|
|Date Opened||5/2/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/30/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$95,798 - $154,319.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Nimmi Subhash|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Leads the creation/drafting and implementation of fiscal-related Standard Operating Procedures, including all procedures for the MSDE’s Accounting Section.
- Ensures the Accounting Section’s compliance with Department Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Manages and directs financial-accounting activities to ensure that fiscal resources are used effectively to attain program fiscal objectives and that Fiscal Coordinators provide Division managers with timely and accurate fiscal information.
- Directs and manages the Fiscal Coordinators’ activities in supporting budget development and providing fiscal training and coordination with Department Divisions/Offices
- Reviews Fiscal Coordinators’ monitoring of expenditures against approved appropriations and ensures that reports are regularly submitted to Division managers.
- Serves as key advisor to the Division of Financial Planning, Operations, and Strategy Assistant State Superintendent and Division Directors on accounting information issues, provides analytical support for special projects, and prepares or supervises the completion of special reports as required.
- Analyzes and recommends changes to such complex financial information systems as MSDE’s Annual Financial Reporting (AFR) grants system and Child Care Automated Tracking System (CCATS), including improved reporting and multiple system interfaces.
- Represents the agency on State-level Financial Management Information System committees for the purpose of recommending, evaluating and developing policies, procedures, and modifications for the FMIS. Communicates, develops, and implements system modifications and accounting control procedures at the agency level.
- Leads the planning and coordination of the fiscal year-end closeout in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and guidelines established by the State Comptroller’s Office and the Department of Budget and Management.
- Directs the development and implementation of training and professional development activities related to the work of the Office of Fiscal Operations and Accountability for all finance staff in the Department whose work relates to budget, accounting, and finance.
- Leads and ensures that Accounting Section staff remain informed of and readily able to comply with the Department’s most current iteration of fiscal SOPs.
- Ensures that finance staff in the Division of Finance and within other MSDE Divisions are trained and adept in using State and MSDE budget and financial reporting systems, including the NOGA system, AFR system, COGNOS reporting system, FMIS, Workday, and other relevant systems.
- Consults with customers (program staff) to evaluate customer satisfaction
- Completes other Duties As Assigned