COMPUTER NETWORK SPECIALIST LEAD
|MD Institute for Emergency Medical Svcs Systems
|11/22/2023 11:59:00 PM
|12/7/2023 11:59:00 PM
|$64,828.00 - $104,555.00/year
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Lead network administration across all MIEMSS Enterprise network segments and platforms. Perform ongoing evaluations of all hardware and software platforms for relevance and recommend hardware/software platform updates/upgrades as needed. Assist in the investigation/acquisition of new hardware and software applicable to both daily and long-range project support as well as the tracking and renewal of existing hardware and software support contracts. Assist in the procurement of goods and services relevant to project completion according to State guidelines.
- Work with the Computer Information Security Officer (CISO) to manage network and data security and to plan and implement necessary platform updates/upgrades as needed
- Provide project management and technical expertise to create, implement and manage IT-related projects as directed and driven by agency system and data needs/requests. Evaluate Project Plans with regard to technical and administrative security requirements, strategic planning goals, and associated costs. Recommend modifications to the Project Plans based on technical knowledge and agency (MIEMSS and State of Maryland, in particular) guidelines, and applicable federal and state law. Coordinate work with any external vendors (if applicable).
- Assist in the formulation of new network and data policies. Assist in the review of public data requests
- Administer the agency Enterprise backup system
- Proactively represent the agency through participation in local and state special projects, as well as other external meetings/committees on an ad hoc basis. Proactively represent the agency through participation in information technology meetings with University of Maryland at Baltimore (UMB) as they relate to agency use of UMB provided IT resources. Point of contact between MIEMSS and UMB
- Other duties as assigned
Experience: Three years and six months of experience, two years of experience planning, integrating and maintaining software and hardware for local or wide area computer networks and an additional eighteen months of experience converting data from project specifications by preparing program code using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools; planning, installing and maintaining data communications network lines and devices; or evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software.
1. Candidates may substitute graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate and fifteen credit hours from an accredited college or university in systems analysis and applications programming using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools for the additional eighteen months of the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate and completion of a certification program in Network Administration, such as Certified Novell Administrator (CNA), Microsoft Certified Product Specialist NT 4.0 Administrator or equivalent certification program for the additional eighteen months of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute experience in one of the following areas on a year-for-year basis for graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate: operating computer systems, scheduling, controlling input and output or maintaining backups or data storage, processing data on computer systems, evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software or converting data from project specifications by developing programs using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools.
4. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Bachelor's degree in computer information technology, management information systems or other information technology related field, including course work in local or wide area computer networks, from an accredited college or university and two years of experience planning, integrating and maintaining software and hardware for local or wide area computer networks for the required experience.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Network Analyst classifications or Network Integration and Management specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- CompTIA (A+/Network+/Secutiy+)
- Cisco (CCNA)
- Virtualization training (VMWare - ESXi/vCenter/vSphere)
- Microsoft Server (MCP or greater)
- Linux: Familiarity with MS Server products (Windows Server AD/SQL Server/Exchange)
- Familiarity with desktop products (MS Office)
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be submitted to: Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division, 301 W. Preston St., Baltimore, MD 21201. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the DBM Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov or 410-767-4850, MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.