Director of Information Technology Operations
IT Assistant Director III
|Department||MSDE - Office of Information Technology|
|Date Opened||1/25/2023 12:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/8/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$82,399.00 - $127,637.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Christopher King|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
*** Promotional opportunity for MSDE Employees only. ***
State Salary Grade 22
Salary Range: $82,399 - $127,637
*State Salary Guidelines apply for current State employees.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Main Purpose of Job
This position is responsible for helping to oversee day-to-day operations in the Office of Information Technology (OIT). In addition to leading the budget-related activities, and managing Human Resources for OIT, the director will work with in-house IT staff to support IT help requests across the Department. The position is also responsible for managing the development of improved IT support systems to enhance IT services across the agency, including but not limited to identifying enterprise services at a cost savings that can more effectively and efficiently be brought in house. Additional responsibilities include supporting MSDE’s strategic technology initiatives of Divisions at MSDE and ensure proper funding.
Oversees day-to-day operations in the Office of Information Technology (OIT) to ensure customer service benchmarks are being satisfied.
- Manages partnership between the Department of Information Technology (DoIT) Help Desk team and MSDE OIT
- Supports work related to building and auditing MS-22s, hiring processes, in-house OIT policies, and consultants and contractors.
- Collaborates with CIO on presentations and submissions for the State’s DoIT Portfolio Review meetings of major information technology projects, information technology projects requests, and submissions of mid-year and year-end project reports for the Department of Legislative Services.
- Supports the work related to MSDE’s strategic technology initiatives and ensures each project is aligned to proper funding.
- Builds OIT fiscal year budget, spending plans based on identified budget categories, and oversee major IT project expenses and creates weekly FMIS reports to ensure OIT budget is aligned with approved spending plans
- Ensures OIT bills are paid on time and work closely with DoIT Financial Services to audit state service allocations.
- Collaborates with MSDE Budget Analyst to forecast the department IT expenses built on identified initiatives .
- Works with Divisions across the agency to ensure DoIT invoices are accurate and are paid on time.
- Analyze OIT’s budget for cost savings opportunities.
- Collaborates with OIT IT Partner and MSDE Procurement Partners to analyze the OIT’s partnership with DoIT and makes recommendations to CIO on services that need to be enhanced, either by DoIT, MSDE or a third-party vendor.
- Assists with building procurement documents across the Department to ensure best practices are applied.
- Support OIT Partners with the contract renewals and maintenance ensuring products and services are obtained in a timely manner.
Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, computer information technology, information security, cybersecurity, or related field.
Experience: Four years of experience working in an information technology environment (IT) to include direct involvement in the management of IT technical staff, supporting IT initiatives-budget-procurements- and IT projects.
- Candidates may substitute additional experience in the management of IT technical staff and IT projects on a year-to-year basis for the required education.
- Candidates may substitute up to two years of the “Experience” requirement listed above with a graduate level degree in computer science, electrical systems, cybersecurity or related field from an accredited college or university.
Applicants must be a current Maryland State Department of Education Employee.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Please include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of information technology systems management.
- Knowledge of information technology services, trends, technical requirements, and staged implementation.
- Knowledge of assessing and analyzing user requirements, providing user solutions and IT product life cycles
- Knowledge of a wide range of software, applications, and methods for evaluating and satisfying user requirements.
- Skill in identifying user needs, mitigating user problems, and implementing creative resolution.
- Skill in managing multiple tasks and interpreting, summarizing, and presenting information.
- Skill in directing projects and working with customers.
- Skill analyzing and formulating feasible recommendations regarding technology solutions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, a variety of customers, and vendor representatives.
- Ability to develop and prepare technical specifications.
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgment in making decisions.
Applicants must consent to State and FBI (CJIS) background check as a routine procedure for all employees.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified. The resulting list of qualified candidates will be in effect for at least one year.
Applicants must complete the MD State Government online application for employment and submit their professional resume. The application and resume must clearly demonstrate that the applicant satisfies the minimum qualifications for the position. Applications must be complete to be considered including all related job duties, even if those are also listed on an attached resume. Additional required materials may be uploaded with the online application, submitted to the fax number, or mailed to the address listed.
If you are unable to apply online, paper applications can be obtained from the link below and be faxed to 410-333-8950 or mailed to MSDE Office of Human Resources, 200 W. Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. If there is a supplemental questionnaire, this must be completed and sent in with your paper application. Postmarks will not be accepted.
Inquiries can be made to 410-767-0019, TDD 410-333-3045. Appropriate accommodations can be made for individuals with disabilities. If you have difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850. TTY Users: Call via Maryland Relay.
Proof of eligibility to work is required in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act. Any misrepresentation of academic or experience requirements for this position may result in non-selection or termination of employment.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. Individuals with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
All application materials must be received in our office by the Closing Date.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request.