Seasonal Hourly Shift
|Department||DNR - Maryland Park Service - State Wide Operation|
|Date Opened||1/11/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/30/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Emilee Knott|
Full-Time and Part-Time vacancies available
* Returning staff for the 2023-2024 season will receive an additional $0.25/hour
LOCATION OF POSITION
Vacancies for this position are at the following locations:
- Soldiers Delight (Baltimore County)
- Susquehanna State Park (Cecil/Harford County)
- Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad State Park (Dorchester County)
- Bill Burton (Dorchester County)
- Rocks State Park (Harford County)
- Fort Frederick State Park (Washington County)
- Washington Monument (Washington County)
Main Purpose of Job
The Historical Interpreter presents living history and educational programs to park visitors. Work is performed indoors and outdoors under various weather conditions. Applicants must be available to work weekends, evenings and holidays as scheduled. Applicants must be available to work weekends, evenings and holidays as scheduled. Part-time or full-time work is available.
Duties may vary for each facility and generally include, but are not limited to:
- Present historical programs and living history demonstrations to park patrons
- May serve as a museum docent, providing information and acting in a customer service capacity
- Develop displays and educational materials
- Perform routine cleaning and maintenance of historic buildings, collections and public restrooms
- Conduct historical research
- Work may require the wearing of historically appropriate clothing, including woolen garments
- Perform historic weapons demonstrations following training. May also serve as a Historical Weapons Safety Officer.
Education: High school diploma or possession of a high school equivalency certificate
Experience: Must have at least 40 hours of customer relations, education, and/or historical interpretation experience as indicated on application. Qualifying experience includes but is not limited to professional or volunteer experience in education/instruction, communications, retail, hospitality, service industry, administrative, or similar fields.
1. Candidates may substitute undergraduate or graduate-level classwork in education, history, public speaking, leadership, etc. three (3) credit hours for the required experience.
2. Additional work experience can be substituted on a two-for-one year basis for the required education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants with historical interpretation experience, or experience working in a museum setting.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle, UTV or golf cart. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland and five points or fewer on their current driving record.
Applicants selected for employment may undergo an employment background investigation, including, but not limited to: employment reference check, education verification, driving record check (if the position requires employees to drive a vehicle) and a criminal history check including fingerprinting.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered for this position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Report all education and experience related to the essential functions of this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
*Should benefits be available, this information will be discussed at the time of hire
The online application is strongly preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Emilee Knott at Emilee.Knott@maryland.gov.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.