This is a position specific recruitment for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Maryland Park Service. This recruitment will be used to fill current vacancies for the position and may be used to fill future vacancies in the same classification/function. Future vacancies may also be filled via other recruitments. The resulting eligible list will be maintained for one year.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Seneca Creek State Park (Montgomery County)
Main Purpose of Job
The Maryland Park Service is recruiting for two State Park Ranger I positions at Seneca Creek State Park in Gaithersburg, Maryland (Montgomery County). Candidates in these positions will serve as Park Rangers serving under the supervision of the Assistant Manager or their designee and will be responsible for directly providing services to visitors, maintaining and protecting natural and cultural resources, equipment, campground and day use areas, grounds and facilities. These positions perform front line work achieving operations, administration, information, education, interpretation, resource management, and visitor services in support of the management of natural, cultural, historical and recreational resources for the benefit of the public. Candidates will be required to work weekends, evenings and holidays.
These positions perform a wide variety of outdoor/indoor duties that contribute to the quality of the park visitors’ experience. This includes but is not limited to providing customer service, operating park facilities, ensuring public safety, responding to medical emergencies, administrative duties, park maintenance and cash handling. The facilities may include, among other areas, visitor centers, nature centers, campgrounds, cabins, picnic shelters, concessions, trails and beaches / swimming areas.
Candidates in these positions do not supervise permanent employees, but may supervise and provide direction / oversight to other employees performing park operations work, including temporary, contractual or seasonal employees.
Experience: Five years of experience, one year of experience in forest or park management, recreation, or natural resources management, or preparing, developing or delivering programs that interpret natural, historical, cultural or recreational features and an additional four years of experience in park management, recreation or a natural or cultural resources related field.
1. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the field of park operations, recreation, education, business administration, forestry, social sciences, history or a natural resources or history related field and one year of experience in forest or park management, recreation, or natural resources management, or preparing, developing or delivering programs that interpret natural, historical, cultural or recreational features for the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in the field of park management, recreation, education, business administration, forestry, social sciences or a natural resources related field for the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in management and program clerical and assistance classification or management and program clerical and assistance specialty codes in the general, administrative, clerical, and office services field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in State Park operations
- Experience working in a National, County or City Park
- Experience in park maintenance, including landscaping, carpentry and plumbing
- Experience in volunteer management
- Experience or training with interpretation or environmental education
- Experience with money handling
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties that require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Employees in this classification are subject to call-in and, therefore, will be required to provide the employing agency with a phone number where they can be reached.
- Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your minimum qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates may be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year. For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
- Applicants selected for employment may undergo an employment background investigation, including, but not limited to: employment reference check, education verification, driving record check (if the position requires employees to drive a vehicle) and a criminal history check including fingerprinting.
Your application is part of the examination process. The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of this position. The rating will be based on the information provided on your application. Therefore, it is important you provide all the experience and education related to this position completely and accurately.
The online application is strongly preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account, need to make adjustments to a submitted application or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management and direct your questions/comments/concerns to the Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.