MPT Associate Producer / Editor (MotorWeek) - REPOST
|Department||MPT - Content Enterprises|
|Date Opened||11/9/2022 12:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/2/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$23.00 - $30.00/hour|
|HR Analyst||Wanda Johnston|
Maryland Public Television (MPT), commonly known as MPT, is a public television network that broadcasts throughout the entire state of Maryland and the District of Columbia and into parts of Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. MPT is Maryland's only statewide broadcaster. Headquartered in Owings Mills, MPT is a member of the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) and is a producer of both locally and nationally distributed TV programs and digital content.
MotorWeek is television’s longest running and most respected automotive series. MotorWeek debut in 1981 and launches a new television genre by becoming the first weekly series to offer consumer-oriented car and truck reviews, do-it-yourself care tips, and the latest auto industry news. Produced by Maryland Public Television, MotorWeek airs on 92% of PBS stations nationwide, and can also be seen on cable’s Motor Trends Network and V-me Spanish language network. The winner of dozens of prestigious automotive journalism awards. MotorWeek is a reliable source of automotive news on television and on the Web.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Maryland Public Television
11767 Owings Mills Blvd
Owings Mills MD 21117
Main Purpose of Job
Maryland Public Television (MPT) is looking for a competent Contractual Associate Producer/ Editor to act as a avid video editor, archivist, and occasional segment producer for the MotorWeek series. Edit numerous feature-length segments weekly. Research, locate and obtain video, photographs, and other media assets from outside sources including internet download and vehicle manufacturer press archives. Assist in organizing and maintaining MotorWeek’s video archive and production music library.
Note: Possible hybrid working schedules are available. A working knowledge of Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro editing software is helpful if you have limited avid experience.
- Act as video editor and occasional segment producer for the MotorWeek series using the Avid computerized non-linear editing suite of products. Import and organize video, audio and graphics in to manageable bins of elements with which to work. Select and decide which elements should be used to best visualize the concepts of the segment script. Edit the elements into a sequence to create element reels, opening title animations, promos, segments or entire shows. Save all project information for archival purposes. Provide file-based versions along with tape or disk outputs. Meet all PBS/FCC specifications. Edit numerous feature-length segments weekly, compile host stand-ups, new stories, and other segments as assigned. Develop story ideas and script treatments and foster a continuous expansion of the creative boundaries of the MotorWeek production.
- Research, locate and obtain video, photographs, and other media assets from outside sources including internet download and vehicle manufacturer press archives. Assist in organizing and maintaining MotorWeek’s video archive and production music library.
- Perform basic maintenance and troubleshooting of the assigned edit suite of equipment. This includes cleaning files off of media drives, checking and installing updates, and patches and doing system backups. This must also give feedback to their supervisor of any equipment malfunctions so that repairs can be implemented.
- Completion of work orders, timesheets, checking email and schedules to stay informed and up to date with clients and teammates. This includes interaction with producers and occasionally equipment vendors. Participation ibn team meetings is greatly encouraged.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Experience: Two (2) years of television video experience in non-linear editing utilizing after effects software and Photoshop, and familiarity with Sapphire, Boris, and Title Deko Plug-ins.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualification(s).
● Bachelor’s degree preferred
● Excellent verbal and written communications skills
● Ability to meet deadlines and coordinate multiple projects
● A self-motivator and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
● Applicants are strongly encouraged to include links to online samples of their editing work. Email the requested information to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date and time, and include your name, identification number (Easy ID#) and job announcement number to ensure timely processing.
● During the second interview process, each candidate will take an editing test
● The incumbent will be required to work the second shift (2 PM – 11 PM).
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Successful candidates will be placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12-month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
The online applications are Strongly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application may be submitted to Maryland Public Television – HR, 11767 Owings Mills Blvd., Owings Mills, MD 21117. Paper application materials must be received by the closing date for the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted.
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If you are unable to upload, please fax the requested information to 410-581-4382. Be sure to include your name, identification number (Easy ID#) and job announcement number on any documentation to ensure timely processing. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact W Lee Johnston at 410-581-4047. If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov. Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
Maryland Public Television (MPT) is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of MPT that all persons have equal opportunity and access to employment opportunities, services, ad facilities without regard to race, color, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.