Planning and Budget Analyst **REPOST**
Program Manager IV
|Department||MSDE - Office of the State Superintendent|
|Date Opened||11/23/2022 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||3/10/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$82,399.00 - $127,637.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Christopher Langley|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
This is a Management Service position and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority.
**Repost, previous applicants do not need to reapply**
State Salary Grade 22
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Note: All MSDE positions require in-person/on-site reporting.
Main Purpose of Job
This position requires someone who excels at budget construction, budget management, position budgeting and position budget management, and related budgetary and fiscal analyses. This position will work hand-in-hand with Division and Office teams as a part of MSDE’s Core Services teams to make complicated, fast-paced, and high-stakes budget development and management transparent and accessible to non-finance staff. This position also serves as the responsible budget analyst for those Division and Office budgets, which are substantial -- the MSDE is responsible for more than $8 billion annually.
Ideal candidates should know or be willing and able to quickly learn the complexities of State Agency budget development, including the broader Legislative process that results in an enrolled budget bill. Candidates should also possess experience with and the ability to learn and work within an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and related fiscal data systems. Many of the State’s systems require external data reporting and analysis. Therefore, skill, not just comfort, in Microsoft Excel or in R is essential.
This position is a high-level position at MSDE and it does require a leader – an individual who enjoys working with and guiding, supporting, and providing excellent customer service to internal, program staff. However, this position equally requires someone who, as much as they lead, executes the work and does so at a high-level. Much of this position’s work requires being skilled at working independently on projects. The ideal candidate will have strong time management skills to ensure deadlines are met and will also know when it is necessary to stop and ask a question, rather than proceed and risk going off course.
The Planning and Budget Analyst is also responsible for ensuring sound business and financial practices are followed in compliance with federal and state regulations, department-based policies and procedures, business policies and procedures, and other applicable financial and business standards across assigned MSDE divisions. The position plays a key role in facilitating the successful financial and business performance of MSDE and integrating best in class business and financial practices to ensure MSDE’s financial resources and strategies are aligned with its multiyear strategic plan and Blueprint for Maryland’s Future initiatives.
- Prepares monthly, interim, and on-demand financial reports and analysis and assists as needed to provide extensive, thorough, and accurate customer service and technical support to department stakeholders
- Participates in the preparation and development of MSDE’s annual operating budget plan and divisional exercises (i.e., zero-based budgeting; State Superintendent of Schools strategic plan performance routine sessions; etc.) and participates in the preparation and development of responses to legislative and other state agency requests
- Supports ongoing budget execution processes across MSDE to ensure budget spending in alignment with the department’s multiyear strategic plan priorities and Blueprint for Maryland’s Future initiatives spending plans
- Coordinates best practice guidance training, manuals, updates, and resources to budget staff across teams
- Supports the State Superintendent of Schools, Deputy Superintendent of Finance and Administration, and Assistant Superintendent of Financial Planning, Operations, and Strategy in the development and dissemination of communication to internal and external stakeholders in the form of presentations, memos, and reporting to support MSDE budget and related initiatives
- Implements department-wide budget database to support MSDE’s annual budget execution as well as continuous improvements to budget data systems
- Conducts data analysis and financial reporting related to internal research to inform resource allocation, ESSA, and other federal requirements, transparency initiatives, and public information requests
- Uses data and information from various systems and sources to diagnose budget-related challenges, recommend potential solutions, and implement solutions with cross-functional stakeholders Participates in the legislative fiscal note process.
- Reviews bill analyses, ensure timely submission of fiscal notes, assist with the review and analysis of cost estimates and fiscal notes for proposed legislation.
EDUCATION: Possession of a bachelor’s degree in public policy, public administration, accounting, business administration, economics, finance, statistics, engineering, planning or political science.
EXPERIENCE: Seven years of experience in budget formulation, accounting, personnel management analysis, or administrative work. One year of this experience must include work in budget planning, formulation, review or management
EDUCATION: Possession of a masters degree or equivalent 36 credit hours of post-baccalaureate coursework in public policy, public administration, accounting, business administration, economics, finance, statistics, engineering, planning or political science.
EXPERIENCE: Five years of experience in budget formulation, accounting, personnel management analysis, or administrative work. One year of this experience must include work in budget planning, formulation, review or management
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- State or local Government finance experience
- Experience in financial planning, budgeting, and policy analysis; Knowledge of performance budgeting concepts; Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in writing reports and making presentations on budget recommendations to senior departmental management and other executive branch officials
- Strong analytical abilities, including understanding of mathematical and statistical concepts
- Experience with word processing, spreadsheets and database software
- Ability to work independently, in teams and under pressure; Availability to work extended hours as required to meet budget deadlines
- Skill with either Microsoft Excel or R
Applicants must consent to State and FBI (CJIS) background check as a routine procedure for all
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
For education obtained outside of the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation will be required prior to hire. The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
It is preferred that applicants complete the MD State Government online application for employment -AND- submit their professional resume. The application must clearly demonstrate that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications for the position. If the applicant is unable to apply online, paper applications can be obtained from the link below and mailed to MSDE Office of Human Resources, 200 W. Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. If there is a supplemental questionnaire, this must be completed and sent in with your paper application, if you are unable to apply online.
Please do not put "See Resume" in the job duties section of your application; your application will not be considered.
All application materials must be received in our office by the closing date. Postmarks will not be accepted. Applications must be complete to be considered including all related job duties, even if those are also listed on an attached resume. Additional required materials may be uploaded with the online application or mailed to the address listed.
Inquiries can be made to 410-767-0019 TDD 410-333-3045. Appropriate accommodations can be made for individuals with disabilities.
If you have difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850. TTY Users: Call via Maryland Relay.
Proof of eligibility to work is required in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act. Any misrepresentation of academic or experience requirements for this position may result in non-selection or termination of employment.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.