CORRECTIONAL MAINTENANCE OFFICER I Maintenance Mechanic
|Department of Public Safety and Correctional Svcs
|1/4/2023 10:45:00 AM
|$57,969.00 - $73,970.00/year
If you are looking for an exciting career with great benefits, pension, generous leave, competitive salary, and the opportunity for advancement and professional growth, apply to join the DPSCS team today!
The Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (DPSCS) is seeking dedicated candidates to fill important roles within our department. We are one of the largest departments in Maryland with nearly 12,000 employees and a budget of more than $1 billion. In order to fulfill our mission of promoting safety, we have increased security at our institutions while leading the way in innovative restorative justice projects that will help offenders reintegrate into society upon release.
As a member of the DPSCS team, you can have a fulfilling career, while also enjoying a wide range of benefits such as medical and dental coverage, paid time off (i.e. vacation, sick leave), becoming vested in the State pension, supplemental retirement options, and even joining the Maryland State Employees Credit Union.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Maintaining control and discipline among inmate workers.
- Conducting searches for contraband items.
- Administering verbal or written disciplinary actions to inmates for any violations of conduct standards.
- Enforcing safety, sanitary, custody and security rules and regulations.
- Assigning installation maintenance or repair tasks to designated inmates performing at various levels of proficiency in the trade.
- Training and instructing inmates regarding methods and techniques, using tools and equipment, and proper care of tools and equipment.
- Inspecting and approving/disapproving all work performed by inmates for adherence to quality standards.
- Estimating time, materials and supplies needed to conduct assigned maintenance or repair tasks.
- Orders supplies and materials needed; keeping records of tools, supplies and materials used.
- Personally performs certain installation, maintenance or repair tasks on plumbing infrastructure.
- Planning and implementing appropriate procedures,
- Operating hand and power tools and equipment needed.
- Escorting third party vendors and inspecting completed work assignment.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Maryland Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Experience: Two years of maintenance mechanic experience.
- The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209, Annotated Code of Maryland. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service
- Experience in correctional institutional specialty codes in the criminal justice field of work at a rate of two years of military experience for the required experience.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland prior to permanent appointment.
- Some positions in this classification may require employees to acquire the appropriate Maryland driver’s license to operate motor vehicles for the transportation of inmates or supplies.
- Employees who have not already done so must complete and successfully pass the Entrance Level Correctional Training Course required for the Maryland Correctional Training Commission certificate during the probationary period.
- Selection standards for Correctional Officer certification are established by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209 of the Annotated Code. These selection criteria are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations Title 12, Subtitle 10, Chapter 01 and include the following:
U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien status
Must be at least 21 years of age
A completed background investigation
- Employees in this classification are subject to call-in 24 hours a day and, therefore, must provide the employing agency with a telephone number where they can be reached.
- Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 410-484-5928. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment.
If you are submitting additional information, the preferred method is to upload it with your application. All uploaded additional information must be received by the closing date and time. If you are unable to upload,
please email the requested information to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the recruitment number in the subject line, or fax to 410-484-5928 (providing a cover sheet with your contact information,
recruitment name, recruitment number and the number of pages faxed). Only additional materials that are requested will be accepted for this recruitment.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, HRSD-Recruitment Division at 410-585-3999 or Jodee Maldonado @ 443-301-7716, Email: email@example.com
If you are having difficulties with submitting your online application, please contact the DBM Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov <Application.Help@maryland.gov> or
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.
|Apply via Paper Application.
|You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.