Skip to Main Content


Contractual Position

Recruitment #22-002823-0011




Baltimore City Juvenile Justice Center
300 N. Gay Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202

Main Purpose of Job

The main purpose of the position is to perform general maintenance tasks such as record keeping, simple construction, repairs to roadways and walks, routine preventative maintenance, heavy janitorial and general services work. Although the bulk of the employee's work time is spent in the actual performance of maintenance and repair tasks, on occasions the employee may serve as a lead worker. The employee assigns work, examines complete work and provides immediate guidance and assistance to a team of unskilled or semi-skilled employees such as Maintenance Mechanics and Janitorial employees.


Education:   Eighth grade.

Experience: Three years of experience in the building maintenance or building construction trades including two years of experience assigning, reviewing and approving the work of other building maintenance or building construction workers.

Note: Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military experience at a rank of Corporal/Petty Officer or higher, as a non-commissioned officer in utilities classifications or mechanical maintenance management specialty codes in utility systems repair, on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.


Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.


Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment.  All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date.  We will not consider information submitted after this date.


Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents.  As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled.  The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits.  You can also elect  to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.

Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period.  This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.


The online application submission process is strongly encouraged.  However, if you are unable to apply online then you may mail a paper application to the address below or fax a paper application to the fax number below.  If you choose to fax or mail your application, you must include on each page of the attachment your First and Last name, the Recruitment Number that is located at the top of the bulleting and the last 4 digits of your SS#.  All paper applications must be received by 5 p.m. by the close of business on the closing date for this recruitment.  Postmarked applications will not be accepted after the closing date.  Incorrect and/or incomplete application forms will not be accepted.  Paper applications can be submitted to:

Maryland Department of Juvenile Services
217 E. Redwood Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
ATTN: Tangela M. Alston
Fax Number 410 230 3151

Should additional information regarding this recruitment be required, please, contact DJS Office of Human Resources at,include the Recruitment Title/Number that is located at the top of the bulletin.

The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.

We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.

As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.

Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.

TTY Users:  Call via Maryland Relay

Powered by JobAps