FIRE SAFETY INSPECTOR I
|Department||MSP Fire Prevention Commission and Fire Marshal|
|Date Opened||3/15/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/30/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Charnyce Leslie|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Conducts on site fire safety inspections/surveys of new and existing homes used for family day care, foster care, project care, or adoption and new and existing structures used for child care centers. Ensure follow- up inspections are conducted to ensure noted violations are corrected.
Determines operation readiness of new and existing fixed fire suppression systems, existing fire detection and alarm systems, and existing portable fire extinguishers in home and structures subject to on-site fire safety inspections/surveys.
Investigate fire code complaints. Records the information and follows through until the complaint is resolved.
Verifies code compliance for storage, handling and use of hazardous materials, flammable and combustible liquids and gasses to prevent fire hazards.
Attends training seminars to maintain up-to-date knowledge of fire codes and regulations, fire protection systems technologies, and agency policies and procedures.
Conducts training seminars and lectures to care providers and clients to provide information on fire prevention and life safety activities, smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector technology, use of fire extinguishers, and other miscellaneous topics relevant to their needs.
Distributes fire prevention material alerts, news releases regarding fire prevention or consumer product safety recalls, or information regarding changes in laws and regulations that may affect the home or facility operations.
Testifies at legal proceedings and Fire Prevention Commission meetings regarding disputes over inspections and fire code violations.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
1. Candidates may substitute experience inspecting buildings and other places of public assembly for compliance with fire prevention and safety laws, codes and regulations on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Firefighter classifications or Firefighter specialty codes in the fire inspection field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
1. Experience performing fire safety inspections in buildings with multiple uses.
2. Fire Safety Inspection Certification.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification are assigned duties in a given service area of the State.
2. Candidates for positions in this classification will be subject to an initial drug screening, a physical examination and a complete criminal background investigation before permanent appointment can be made. A criminal conviction record may be grounds for rejection of the candidate.
3. Employees in this classification must successfully meet the standards established by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA 1031) for Fire Safety Inspector I prior to completion of the probationary period.
4. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after this date will not be considered. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
If you are unable to apply online, you may submit an application via mail. The Maryland State Application Form can be found online.
Completed application, required documentation and any required addendums may be mailed to:
Office of the State Fire Marshal
1201 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, MD 21208
ATTN: Joseph Walters
Questions or concerns regarding this recruitment may be sent to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
It is the policy of the Office of the State Fire Marshal to comply with all applicable federal and state laws prohibiting employment discrimination and to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender, identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected status.