MAINTENANCE MECHANIC SENIOR
|Department||DGS Facilities Operations and Maintenance|
|Date Opened||9/28/2022 12:15:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/1/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$46,664.00 progressing to $55,137.00/year (Salary rules apply for current State employees)|
|HR Analyst||Tammy Vehstedt|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
- Assist operating and maintaining various pieces of equipment and systems needed to keep crucial State office buildings open.
- Perform repairs to the building and HVAC equipment, ceiling tiles, floor tile and lighting throughout the building. Repair doors, locks, hinges and related hardware.
- Visually inspects plumbing fixtures and completes repairs. Corrects spills, leaks, breakage and cleans up same.
- Assist in the rebuilding and repairing of motors and pumps when they can be repaired. Oil and grease motors and pumps on generators and large equipment to ensure uninterrupted service.
- Receive supplies, keep records and store materials in neat and orderly fashion. Maintain inventory records for materials used.
- Make repairs to equipment and tools.
- Maintain grounds by performing maintenance repairs on associated gasoline operating equipment; mows lawn area; and clears roadway, parking lot and sidewalk of debris and clutter. Work with and/or supervise community service workers to maintain landscaped areas, flowered areas and shrubbery.
- Other functions that may be required that enables this agency to fulfill its overall government mission which is to maintain all State land and structures for the Facilities Management Division of DGS.
Education: Eighth grade.
Experience: Four years of experience in any combination of the maintenance trades, three years must be in the trades of electricity, plumbing, steam fitting, refrigeration or air conditioning.
1. Candidates may substitute additional experience in any of the maintenance trades on a year-for-year basis for up to three years of the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute the possession of a degree from an accredited vocational or technical high school with a major in Building Maintenance or a related field for up to three years of the required general experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in utilities repair classifications or construction and engineering specialty codes in any combination of maintenance trades, on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Skilled trades experience in a commercial building setting.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please include all experience and education that is related to this position. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date; information submitted after the closing date will not be considered. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week; you must include the time spent on such activities on your application.
The examination for this position will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring authority to select employees for interviews. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – verification will be completed upon hire. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of being placed on the eligibility list, you may participate in the selection process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of being placed on an eligibility list.
You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
This position may be eligible for participation in the State’s SmartWork Student Loan Repayment Program. The program is a new initiative begun by the State of Maryland to financially assist eligible State employees with repaying their student loan debt. For more information, visit: www.dbm.maryland.gov/employees/Pages/SmartWork.aspx.
Contact or call 410-767-4986 with questions about this recruitment. The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at – click on Employment on the left side of the screen. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Suite 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time. TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.