PARK TECHNICIAN I
|Department||DNR - Maryland Park Service - State Wide Operation|
|Date Opened||2/12/2021 2:10:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/1/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Marjorie Point Du Jour|
Long Term Contractual
Multiple vacancies; full-time
Contract Period: One (1) year with the possibility of renewal
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
These intermediate level positions will be responsible for monitoring and maintenance of grounds, facilities and equipment at the park including day use areas, headquarters/shop complex, and bathhouse buildings. The positions operate and maintain power tools and heavy equipment, oversee and perform routine grounds, facilities and equipment maintenance in these state parks. These positions will complete projects for maintenance, repair and improvements to park grounds and facilities, including carpentry, electrical, masonry and plumbing. Duties may include trail construction and maintenance, mowing and trimming, removal of downed and hazardous trees, re-routing of park trails, and boundary marking.
The employees may also lead or supervise work of seasonal employees and volunteers. While the maintenance of park buildings is the primary function of this position, the selected candidates will also assist with day-to-day park operations, including opening and closing park facilities, assisting with park visitor needs, and helping with special events as required.
Education: Possession of a high school diploma or high school equivalence certificate.
Experience: One year of experience in the skilled maintenance or construction trades, e.g. electrician, plumber or experience in the maintenance of a park, forest or wildlife facility.
1. Applicants may substitute education in the field of forestry, wildlife biology or park management at an accredited college or university at the rate of 30 semester credit hours for each year of the required experience for up to two years.
2. Applicants may substitute experience for the required High School education at the rate of one year experience for one year of education up to a maximum of four years.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in equipment, facilities, and services classification or equipment, facilities, and services specialty codes in the equipment, facilities, and services field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
2. Experience in small equipment repair and basic vehicle maintenance.
3. Ability to use a computer to fill out forms and utilize electronic e-mail.
4. Experience leading work crews or volunteer groups in project completion.
5. Experience in parks operations in the event of emergency or facility breakdown.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Some positions in this classification are assigned duties which will require the individual to be examined by a physician. After an offer of employment, applicants for such positions will be given a medical examination to certify the ability to perform the essential job functions.
2. Upon permanent appointment the employee may be required to reside in the county, region, or park to which they are assigned.
3. Candidates appointed to positions in this classification may be assigned duties which require a valid operator license for heavy equipment, such as bulldozers, back-hoes, payloaders or tractors.
4. Persons appointed to these positions may be required to have their current private residence telephone number listed in the agency’s telephone directory or on file with Forest, Park and Wildlife Communications Center in case of emergencies.
5. The employee may be required to attend training and be certified as a water plant operator.
6. Employees in this classification may be required to lift objects weighing up to 40 pounds or more.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program (the Program), have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a temporary/contractual employee who works an average of at least 12 hours per week. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
The online application is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Marjorie Point Du Jour at email@example.com.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|