NATURAL RESOURCES POLICE SERGEANT
Limited to current DNR NRP promotional candidates only
|Department||DNR - Natural Resource Police - General Direction|
|Date Opened||6/8/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/22/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$65,713.00 - $118,444.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Marjorie Point Du Jour|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Education: High School diploma or G.E.D. Certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Experience: One year of experience as a commissioned natural resources law enforcement officer responsible for training and assigning, reviewing and monitoring the work of lower-level natural resources police officers.
1. The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission in accordance with the Annotated Code of Maryland, Public Safety Article, Section 3-207.
2. Experience defined above must have been certified by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Required licenses and/or certifications should be listed under the "licenses and certifications" section of the application. Failure to do so may result in being found ineligible for this position.
1. Employees in this classification must possess police officer certification as required by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission at the time of application.
2. Employees in this classification will be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle and will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
1.Selection standards for police officer certification are established by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission in accordance with the Annotated Code of Maryland, Public Safety Article, Section 3-207. These selection criteria are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations 12.04.01.04 and include the following: U.S. Citizenship; must be at least 21 years of age; a completed background investigation, including a check of criminal history, oral interview and truth verification device testing; physical and psychological examination following offer of employment.
2. Employees are subject to call-in 24 hours a day and, therefore, will be required to provide the employer with a phone number where they can be reached.
3. Employees in this classification will be required to bear firearms and to demonstrate practical knowledge and proficiency in the safe use and care of firearms on a periodic basis.
4. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations, 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
5. Employees in this classification are subject to assignment in any area of the State.
Applicants should be certain to update their application with all education and job related experience to demonstrate their qualification for this position. Make certain to include any applicable acting time necessary to achieve minimum qualifications. Those who do not demonstrate that they meet the minimum qualifications on their application will not be permitted to compete for this position. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the closing date of this announcement, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent Maryland State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of the closing date of this announcement. However, affected candidates will appear in pending status on the eligible list until documentation has been received to ensure educational and/or experience requirements have been met.
You will be considered ONLY for vacancies in counties in which you express geographic interest on the application as follows: 1) If you indicate interest in one county within an NRP area (Areas 1-8), you will be considered for all available Field Operations positions within that area. Likewise, you will not be considered for Field Operations positions within an NRP area if you do not indicate interest in any counties in the Area. 2) If you are interested in a position in Support Services, Special Services, or Intelligence & Special Investigations Bureaus be sure to list the county in which the main office of the unit is located. Otherwise you will not be considered for vacancies in those Bureaus.
The examination will consist of the following components: a 100-item open-book written multiple-choice exam, an oral board interview, and a scored resume. Source material will not be available at the test site. Candidates will need to bring their own paper copy of the source material with them to the multiple-choice exam. No additional notes or papers are permitted. Source material will be screened by test administrators.
Eligible candidates will be sent information on the format of the scored resume.
Candidates must achieve a minimum score of 60% on the written knowledge exam in order to proceed to the oral board and resume portions of the exam. The Natural Resources Police reserves the right to conduct oral board interviews using a virtual format, as deemed necessary, to preserve health and safety, and prevent the spread of illness.
Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for a period of at least one year.
The Written Exam will be held on July 10, 2021. You will receive an email from the Department with your report time of the Multiple-Choice Exam. No make-up exams will be scheduled. The exam will be administered at the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission facility located at 6852 4th St., Sykesville, MD 21784.
Candidates who successfully achieve a minimum score of 60% on the written exam will be notified of the date, time, location, and format of the oral board interviews. Interviews are anticipated to be held during the period of August 9, 2021 through August 20, 2021. Dates for resume submission will also be provided to these candidates.
Study Materials for the Sergeant Promotional Exam:
1. Maryland Natural Resources Police Manual of Policies, Procedures and Regulations, as updated through May 31, 2020. This version of the manual has been converted to PDF format and can be located at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P1jtWS_7svOjfBgx0maRiWAD8g0Jz6SE
- Chapter 4 – Sections II, III, and VI
- Chapter 5 – All Sections
- Chapter 6 – Sections I, II, III and IV
- Chapter 7 – Sections I and II
- Chapter 8 – Sections II, III, IV, V, and VI
- Chapter 9 – All Sections
- Chapter 10 – Section I
2. Annotated Code of Maryland, Department of Natural Resources Laws, 2018 Edition with 2019 Supplement insert (Use Your Issued copy)
- Title 4 – Subtitles 2, 2A, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 and 12
- Title 8 – Subtitle 7
- Title 10, Subtitles 3, 4, 5, 6, and 11
3. Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR), with updates including those effective December 31, 2019 (Use Your Issued copy)
- Subtitle 2 – All
- Subtitle 3 – All
- Subtitle 4 – All
- Subtitle 7 – 07.01, 07.02, 07.06, 07.07
- Subtitle 18 – 18.01, 18.02, 18.03, 18.04
4. Maryland Digest of Criminal Laws (revised October 1, 2019). Candidates may consult a printed copy or utilize the version converted to PDF format, which can be located at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P1jtWS_7svOjfBgx0maRiWAD8g0Jz6SE
5. Maryland Natural Resources Police Emergency Operations Plan (revised 3/15/2018). This version of the EOP has been converted to PDF format and can be located at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P1jtWS_7svOjfBgx0maRiWAD8g0Jz6SE
6. State of Maryland Bullying in the Workplace Policy. This document is located at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P1jtWS_7svOjfBgx0maRiWAD8g0Jz6SE
7. State of Maryland Sexual Harassment Policy. This document is located at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P1jtWS_7svOjfBgx0maRiWAD8g0Jz6SE
You will be required to complete and submit a State application and supplemental questionnaire to be considered for this recruitment. The online application is preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. A resume may not be used in lieu of any part of the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Marjorie Point Du Jour at email@example.com.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|