RESEARCH & PRESERVATION SPECIALIST I (Contractual)
|Department||MDP Museum Services|
|Date Opened||12/1/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/15/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$18.69 - $29.56/hour|
|HR Analyst||Dionne Core|
Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum (JPPM), an agency of the Maryland Historical Trust, within the Maryland Department of Planning, is recruiting for a full time, contractual Archaeological Conservator.
JPPM is located on 560 scenic acres along the Patuxent River in Calvert County, Maryland, and is the State Museum of Archaeology and a center for both regional and statewide archaeological research. It is home to the Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory (MAC Lab), which houses over 8 million artifacts.
Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum connects people to the past through history and archaeology and supports the preservation of Maryland's cultural and natural resources. www.jefpat.org
LOCATION OF POSITION
· Carry out condition and conservation surveys for revenue generating projects to determine conservation priorities.
Documentation and Photography
· Record technical information into the conservation database for the purposes of producing Conservation Reports for clients.
· Take before and after treatment photographs as part of the Conservation Report submittal.
· Carry out passive and interventive conservation treatments, including but not limited to mechanical cleaning, desalination, structural fills, environmental packaging and reconstruction.
· Ensure that all work is performed in compliance with the American Institute of Conservation’s Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Practice.
· Perform quantitative tests throughout chemically interventive treatments such as vacuum freeze drying, desalination and PEG impregnation.
· X-ray artifacts in conjunction with conservation surveys or as needed to perform specific conservation treatments.
· Perform material characterization tests to assist archaeologists and curators in their research of artifacts or to identify materials to determine appropriate conservation treatments.
· Work with Head Conservator and clients to determine conservation needs and to develop appropriate conservation strategies.
· Keep staff up to date regarding treatment progress and developments.
Package or mount artifacts for transport, storage or display
Education: Applicant must have a degree in the conservation of objects from an accredited conservation degree program.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service needs to be provided before hire.
All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are not able to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire (by the closing date) to:
Department of Budget and Management
Recruitment and Examination Division
301 W. Preston St., Suite 608
Baltimore, MD 21201
Attn: For inquiries regarding this recruitment, please call 410 767-7950