CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER, WESTERN MARYLAND HOSPITAL CENTER
PHYSICIAN PROGRAM MANAGER III
|Department||MDH Western Maryland Center|
|Date Opened||9/10/2020 1:34:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||10/1/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$152,319.00 - $251,566.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Janet Esser|
Western Maryland Hospital Center is a chronic care facility operated by the Maryland Department of Health that provides care and treatment to individuals who need constant medical and nursing care by reason of chronic illness or infirmity or have a chronic disability amenable to rehabilitation. The facility has two (2) licenses and programs: High Intensity Medical Program licensed as a chronic care facility providing medical rehabilitation with a budgeted census of 19 and the Comprehensive Care Program licensed as a comprehensive care facility/SNF/nursing home with a budgeted census of 36. The facility employs approximately 205.5 FTEs. Western Maryland Hospital Center is accredited by The Joint Commission under the hospital, nursing care center and laboratory standards as well as the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) for medical rehabilitation for the HIMP unit.
LOCATION OF POSITION
MDH, Western Maryland Hospital Center, Hagerstown, MD
Main Purpose of Job
The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) is a member of the facility’s Leadership Council, which reports to the Governing Body, and is actively engaged in defining the strategic planning goals and objectives of the organization. The person is this position serves as the Medical Director and is the ultimate decision making on clinical policy. They will work with clinical leaders and supervisors in the executive management and administration of all clinical departments, programs and services for the facility. This position is responsible for the delivery of safe and high-quality patient/resident care, management of physician and clinical services, clinical quality and performance improvement activities, and licensure and accreditation activities. This position also chairs medical staff committees.
· Leads and implements clinical direction of the facility
· Works as a member of the Leadership Council to develop strategic planning goals and objectives, implementation plans and ongoing monitoring of outcomes
· Promotes a culture of open communication and collaboration to create a patient/resident centered healthcare system
· Leads an effort to grow the facility’s presence in the region and state by creating productive relationships with other healthcare provider organizations, managed care organizations, government entities and community groups
· Chairs medical staff committees
Resource, Staff & Fiscal
· Effectively hires and manages clinical leaders while coaching for development opportunities
· Effectively identifies clinical service needs, develops scope of work descriptions for contractual services, and monitors clinical service contractual services.
· Develops and manages resources while maintaining fiscal integrity and efficiency
Quality and Performance Improvement
· Actively works to ensure a safety environment the facility
· Ensures a process of peer review of charts is in place in accordance with regulatory requirements and accreditation standards
· Ensures that the optimum clinical care is provided and documented in the medical records
· Identifies areas for improvement, develops plans, and monitors outcomes
Compliance, Policies and Procedures
· Knowledge, interpretation and application of all clinical regulations and requirements for licensure and accreditation standards
· Interpretation of federal and state laws and regulations in order to provide clarification and direction in implementation and compliance
· Interpretation of accreditation standards and best practices to provide direction in implementation and compliance
Planning and Organizing
· Serves as a change agent with the ability to organize and effectively manage and facilitate trans-disciplinary communication and planning to optimize patient/resident outcomes and champion growth for the facility
· Ability to analyze and present data to influence behavior, stimulate innovation, promote best practices, and drive organizational growth
Communication and Team Building
· Skills in effective communication, presentation, leadership, critical thinking, team work and change management
· Excellent verbal, written, and motivational communication skills
· Fosters an environment for self-direction, reflection and correction
· Highlights learning, both formal and informal, that occurs
· Leads, or serves as a liaison to, multi-disciplinary committees and workgroups to challenge growth and learning
Qualified candidates must possess:
A medical degree (MD or DO) from an accredited college or university;
Successful completion of an accredited residency program
Licensure and registration with the Maryland Board of Physicians to practice medicine under Maryland State law;
Current Board Certification;
Successful completion of a curriculum in physician management or administration from ADMD – The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine or equivalent;
Five (5) years of clinical practice experience; and,
and at least two (2) years of experience or specialized training in the medical care of geriatric or chronically ill and impaired individuals.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preferred candidates should possess:
Experience and training providing rehabilitation physician services;
Experience managing physicians and clinical disciplines; and,
Working knowledge of electronic medical records.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Applicants for this classification must be certified by an American Medical Association Specialty Board in an area of medical specialization.
2. Applicants for this classification must be licensed by the Maryland Board of Physicians to practice medicine under Maryland State Law. A copy of the current license must be attached to the application.
This is a Management Service position, and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority. A resume must accompany your application.
Applicants who meet the minimum (and selective) qualifications will be included in further evaluation. The evaluation may be a rating of your application based on your education, training and experience as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related education, experience, dates and hours of work. Clearly indicate your college degree and major on your application, if applicable. For education obtained outside the U.S., any job offer will be contingent on the candidate providing an evaluation for equivalency by a foreign credential evaluation service prior to starting employment (and may be requested prior to interview).
Complete applications must be submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after this date will not be added.
Incorrect application forms will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Candidates may remain on the certified eligible list for a period of at least one year. The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
This is a full-time merit position with the State of Maryland, which includes full benefits to include:
· Leave Benefits – generous leave package including 10-25 days of annual (vacation) leave per year, depending on seniority, as well as six personal days each calendar year. In addition, the State offers eleven paid holidays and fifteen days of sick leave per year
· Health Coverage – variety of health benefit plans including medical, prescription, dental and vision coverage at very competitive rates. You may also be eligible for life, accidental death and dismemberment insurance plans at low group rates.
· Reduced Child and Health Care Costs – Healthcare and dependent daycare flexible spending accounts that allow employees to save, on a pretax basis, for healthcare and dependent care costs incurred during the plan year
· Retirement Benefits – participation in a contributory defined benefit pension plan in which you are vested after ten years. Additional eligibility to participate in two supplemental retirement plans: 457 Deferred Compensation Plan and the 401(k) Savings and Investment Plan
· Flexible Work Schedules – employees typically work a forty-hour work week
· Student Loan Forgiveness – participation in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
Physicians employed by the State of Maryland are covered by Maryland Tort Claims and are not required to maintain malpractice insurance for their work as a State employee.
Click here for more details -
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application (and supplemental questionnaire) may be submitted to MDH, Recruitment and Selection Division, 201 W. Preston St., Room 114-B, Baltimore, MD 21201. Paper application materials must be received by 5 pm, close of business, on the closing date for the recruitment, no postmarks will be accepted.
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If you are unable to upload, please fax the requested information to 410-333-5689. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the MDH Recruitment and Selection Division at 410-767-1251.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: 410-767-1251 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.