GEOLOGIST III, MARYLAND GEOLOGICAL SURVEY
|Department||DNR - Resource Assessment - MD Geological Survey|
|Date Opened||2/15/2019 10:55:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||5/15/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$47,795.00 - $76,513.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Khia Poteat|
This is a position specific recruitment for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Maryland Geological Survey. This recruitment will be used to fill current vacancies for the position and may be used to fill future vacancies in the same classification/function. Future vacancies may also be filled via other recruitments.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Education: Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Geology, Environmental Geology or a related earth science.
Experience: Three years of experience performing professional geological work.
1. Possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Geology, Environmental Geology or a related earth science may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in physical science classifications or physical science specialty codes in the geology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
Applicants must meet the minimum and selective qualifications to be considered. Please include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
One year of experience in groundwater-flow modeling using MODFLOW, technical writing, and project management.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to candidates with:
1. Experience developing groundwater-flow models (in particular using the MODFLOW code) to evaluate water-supply potential, saltwater intrusion, land subsidence, or sea-level rise in unconsolidated, coastal plain aquifer systems.
2. Experience conducting subsurface stratigraphic studies in coastal plain sediments.
3. Experience using GIS software.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be required to walk over rough or unstable terrain or over long distances while wearing personal protective equipment.
2. Employees in this classification may be subject to call-in on a twenty-four hour basis and, therefore, will be required to provide the employing agency with a telephone number where they can be reached or carry an electronic pager.
Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Successful candidates may be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
Your application is part of the examination process. The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of this position. The rating will be based on the information provided on your application. Therefore, it is important you provide all the experience and education related to this position completely and accurately. Verifiable volunteer experience will be considered; please include it on your application, if applicable.
Resumes will not be accepted. Please do not submit unsolicited documentation (cover letters, resumes, etc.). You will be required to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
The online application is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to:
Department of Natural Resources
580 Taylor Avenue, C-3
Annapolis, MD 21401
The Human Resources Department is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Khia Poteat at
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.