Urban & Community Forester
LOCATION OF POSITION
14110 Pleasant Valley Road Flintstone, Maryland 21530 (Allegany County)
Main Purpose of Job
This position serves on the Statewide Urban and Community Forestry team under the supervision of the
Supervisor, Urban & Community Forestry to plan, develop, and implement the statewide Urban and Community
Forestry program as the employee responsible for the operations and administration of the program within
Western Region, and may be assigned statewide responsibility for specific areas within the program. These
urban forestry activities directly support the Departmental goal of conserving the natural resources of Maryland
and protecting the Chesapeake Bay.
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Maryland Forest Service, is currently accepting applications for the Urban & Community Forester – Western Region position, which serves on the Statewide Urban & Community Forestry team and will be responsible for the operations and administration of the urban and community forestry program within the Western Region. The position coordinates, administers, implements, enforces and directs regional urban and community forestry efforts including state regulatory programs such as Roadside Tree Law, Reforestation Law, Licensed Tree Experts, and Forest Conservation Act as well as providing recommendations to Tree City USA and Tree Campus USA applications. The position may be assigned statewide responsibility for specific areas within the program. In addition, the candidate will provide assistance to law enforcement, local governments and the general public regarding the Departmental laws, regulations and policies as necessary.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in an environmental science or natural resources planning, management or development.
Experience: Three years of experience in natural resources planning or applied environmental science.
1. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in urban or regional planning, engineering, physical geography, or the physical, chemical, biological sciences and one year of experience in natural resources planning or applied environmental science for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in natural resources planning, management, administration, development, environmental, urban or regional planning; resources economics or development; environmental system management; water or land resources planning and management; environmental landscape architecture; or the physical, biological, chemical or environmental sciences for up to three years of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the general natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or general natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the general natural resources management and biological sciences field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with forestry and/or urban forestry work.
- Experience with county ordinances and/or state laws and permitting processes.
- Experience organizing tree plantings.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties that require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees
assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates may be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Your application is part of the examination process. The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of this position. The rating will be based on the information provided on your application. Therefore, it is important you provide all the experience and education related to this position completely and accurately.
The online application is strongly preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Courtney Blackistone at email@example.com.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.