***REPOST, previous applicants do not need to reapply***
Long-Term Contractual Position
LOCATION OF POSITION
1 opening in BelAir at the BelAir Regional Office
Main Purpose of Job
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Maryland Forest Service, is currently
accepting applications for two Tree Planting Supervisors to implement the 5 Million Trees Initiative, a 9-
year program established by the 2021 Tree Solutions Now Act. Positions will supervise up to 5 Tree
Planting Specialists and planting or landscaping contractors installing planting projects and performing
maintenance on tree plantings, coordinating work-planning and grant budgeting. Positions will also
perform field work similar to Tree Planting Specialists: reach out to and engage with community groups
and landowners to expand interest in tree planting, plan and conduct tree plantings, and support continued
care and management of trees and forests. Supervision and work may include tree seed collection with
volunteers or staff. Projects will be on public and private land, and cover urban and rural settings.
Particular focus will be on urban, underserved areas most in need of trees for human health and
environmental benefits. The positions will be part of the 5 Million Trees Team, supervised through either
the Urban/Community Forestry or Stewardship Programs, and will work in field offices with regional
Experience: Seven years experience in administrative staff or professional work.
1. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Bachelor's degree from a college or university and three years of experience in administrative staff or professional work for the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute additional graduate level education at an accredited college or university at the rate of 30 credit hours for each year of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer involving staff work that included the regular use of independent judgment and analysis in applying and interpreting complex administrative plans, policies, rules or regulations or analysis of operational programs or procedures with recommendations for improvement on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
- 1 year of experience supervising or leading other employees.
- Experience with tree planting, paid or volunteer
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with working with forestry and/or urban forestry field work, particularly tree identification
- Experience with working with nonprofits and local government and/or tree planting programs including managing volunteers
- Experience with databases, spreadsheets, and GIS systems
- Knowledge of non-native invasive species and control techniques
- Experience with outreach, marketing, or graphics
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered for this position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Report all education and experience related to the essential functions of this position. For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
The online application is strongly preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Courtney Blackistone at email@example.com.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.