DESIGNATED ADMIN MANAGER III
Director of Public Affairs
|Department||Maryland Insurance Administration|
|Date Opened||9/10/2019 4:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/24/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$63,925.00 - $93,364.00/ year (Salary Guidelines Apply to State Employees)|
|HR Analyst||Kyia Underwood|
The Maryland Insurance Administration (MIA) is an independent State agency that regulates Maryland’s insurance industry and protects consumers by monitoring and enforcing insurers’ and insurance professionals’ compliance with State law. Through the diligence of a highly professional staff of market analysts, financial analysts, accountants, lawyers, law enforcement officers, actuaries, complaint investigators, and others, the MIA works to facilitate a strong and competitive insurance marketplace where consumers are well informed and treated fairly. Staff members are subject matter experts who serve as a resource for lawmakers, consumers, and other public and private entities.
The MIA is charged with a broad range of responsibilities including the licensure of insurance carriers and insurance producers (brokers/agents) operating in Maryland, the conduct of financial examinations of companies to monitor financial solvency, and the review and approval of rates and contract forms. The MIA investigates reports of consumer fraud and consumer complaints about life, health, automobile, homeowners, and/or property insurance. Insurance carriers are subject to market conduct examinations and other actions to monitor compliance with Maryland law. The MIA also has a unit dedicated to consumer education and outreach, which participates in hundreds of events and reaches thousands of individual consumers annually.
This is a Political Special Appointment position, and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority.
LOCATION OF POSITION
The Maryland Insurance Administration seeks a senior communications professional to manage all media relations and develop and implement the MIA’s overall strategic public affairs plan. The Director of Public Affairs is responsible for providing communications support to the Commissioner and senior MIA officials, and for cultivating and maintaining positive media relations. The Director will be the primary contact for all media requests for data and information, and will manage the development, implementation, and coordination of internal and external communication strategies, including the MIA website.
- Develop and implement a communications strategy that promotes the overall mission of the MIA.
- Serve as main information source for all media contacts.
- Management and oversight of the Public Information Act Request process.
- Development of the agency’s social media strategy and activity.
- Develop, modify and execute upgrades to the MIA website.
- Work closely with senior staff to develop and implement creative and integrated programs to support the agency's mission through consumer education and industry relations.
- Establish and assure adherence to budgets, schedules, and work plans.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in marketing, public relations or communications (Master’s degree optional).
- Seven (7) years of strong communications experience, preferably in a government agency or in the insurance industry.
- Minimum of three (3) years of management experience.
- Significant experience in media relation.
- Demonstrated analytical and conceptual problem-solving ability; excellent oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Experience managing web-based communication tools.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|