IT PROGRAMMER ANALYST, LEAD/ADVANCED***REPOST***
Application Support Specialist
|Department||OPD General Administration|
|Date Opened||9/3/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/30/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$51,152.00 with growth over time $82,089.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Janynee Covington|
RECRUITMENT REPOSTED. PREVIOUS APPLICANTS NEED NOT REAPPLY.
The Office of the Public Defender is a statewide independent agency charged with providing superior legal representation to indigent defendants. The agency’s vision is Justice, Fairness and Dignity for All. Employees are committed to the core values of culture of excellence, client centered representation, tenacious advocacy, and are united in achieving the agency’s mission.
OPD has a centralized Information Technology headquarters office located in Anne Arundel County and numerous field locations to include local OPD offices, courthouses, local detention centers and mental health hospitals. The Information Technology Division provides department-wide technology planning, acquisition, policies, connectivity, and support for a broad portfolio of infrastructure and applications operating in an enterprise caliber environment.
LOCATION OF POSITION
989 Corporate Drive
Linthicum, Maryland 21090
Main Purpose of Job
The Application Support Specialist provides application, functional and technical expertise, and ongoing general application and reporting support for various large-scale applications in use at the Office of the Public Defender (OPD). The Application Support Specialist responds to various support requests to determine the proper path and solution for remediation. The position is also responsible for performing and/or supporting staff training in agency application usage and understanding. This position may travel to various agency sites to interface with key stakeholders, perform special work requests and/or provide training. Additionally, this position will be responsible for developing agency reports and performing data extraction if needed. The incumbent within this position must possess the technical expertise, and knowledge of the practices of application management, development and support. This includes knowledge of operational procedures for managing a portfolio of specialized software applications, including software development lifecycle management and tools that are used to support applications operating in a high-availability environment. The incumbent should also have experience with effective project management tools and techniques including the ability to plan, communicate, and lead various application-oriented projects to successfully complete meeting timeline, quality, and budget targets. This position must be able to communicate effectively with senior staff, as well as, end users and third-party providers.
Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or other information technology related field.
Experience: Two years of experience designing, developing, testing, implementing and maintaining applications systems and programs using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools.
1. Candidates may substitute six credit hours of coursework in application analysis and programming using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools for six months of the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or a high school equivalency certificate and eighteen months of experience converting data from project specifications by writing program code using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools for the required education.
3. Candidates may substitute completion of high school or a high school equivalency certificate and fifteen credits from an accredited college or university in systems analysis and application programming using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools for the required education.
4. Candidates may substitute experience in one of the following areas: operating computers, scheduling, controlling input and output or maintaining backups or data storage, processing data on computers, evaluating, implementing and maintaining hardware and software, on a year-for-year basis for a high school education.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Computer Systems Programming classifications or Computer Systems Programming specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
· Prior experience with supporting a large-scale enterprise application (ERP, CRM, etc.) that has been tailored to support defined business processes and workflows.
· Working knowledge of software development lifecycle best practices and related management tools.
· Demonstrated experience with interfacing with application stakeholders and end-users to gather, synthesize, and analyze functional requirements.
· Exposure to modern application integration concepts and frameworks.
· Strong familiarity with tools and techniques pertaining to data gathering and reporting.
· Experience with a legal case management system would be considered a plus.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to translate functional requirements into technical specifications.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in these classifications may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle.
Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related education, experience, dates and hours of work. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Applicants certified to list will receive eligibility for a period of one (1) year.
Online Applications Preferred. Please fax all paper applications and questionnaires to (410) 333-8134. Inquiries regarding applications and submitting paper applications can be directed to: Office of the Public Defender, Human Resources Division, 6 Saint Paul Street, Suite 1304, Baltimore, MD 21202; or by calling (410) 767-8503, toll free: 877-430-5187; TTY users call Maryland Relay Service 800-735-2258. Please be sure to include your name, identification number (Easy ID#) and job announcement number on any documentation to ensure timely processing.
A paper copy of the MD State application form and questionnaire can be downloaded from the link below.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.