ASSESSMENTS ASSISTANT SUPERVISOR - Class A
|Department||State Department of Assessments and Taxation|
|Date Opened||10/29/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/12/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$68,218.00 - $109,539.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Susan Derlunas|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Department of Assessments and Taxation for Baltimore City
William Donald Schaefer Tower
6 Saint Paul Street, 11th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21202-1608
Main Purpose of Job
- Assists the Supervisor of Assessments in the management of a local office of assessments.
- Assists in the development and implementation of local office policy and procedures.
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of local property assessments records.
- Prepares reports and estimates of the value of taxable property. Reviews exemption applications for approval or denial.
- Assists in the planning and execution of a program of assessment and reassessment of taxable property.
- Cooperates with appropriate related local officials, officers and departments.
- Carries on a continuing program of public information to advise property owners of the activities and duties performed by the department that are required by law.
- Answers questions from subordinate. Assessor staff and other parties regarding assessment methods and procedures, the residential appeals process and AAVS functions.
- Acts as a back-up to Supervisor of Assessments in the event of the Supervisor's absence.
Education: A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Completion of the International Association of Assessing Officers Courses 101, 102 and 300 or equivalent courses approved by the Department of Assessments and Taxation.
Experience: Six years of professional appraisal experience estimating the value of real property performed in accordance with the provisions of the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice Code.
1. Additional appraisal experience involving the valuation of real property may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in financial administration and program classification or financial administration and program specialty codes in the accounting and budget field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
Two years of Supervisory Experience.
Experience in the valuation of residential and commercial and industrial properties.
Experience reviewing exemption applications.
Experience working with real property tax laws in Maryland and IAAO standards.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
Recruitment is limited to current State Department of Assessments and Taxation employees only.
Selected candidate must be willing to work in Baltimore City.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be required to have daily use of a motor vehicle while on official State business. Standard mileage allowance will be paid for use of a privately owned vehicle.
2. Upon appointment, persons possessing a real estate broker or sales license, or a license to sell insurance, will be required to put same in an "Inactive" status.
3. Employees are prohibited from participating in any outside activity, including private appraisals, which may be deemed a conflict of interest by the Director of the Department of Assessments and Taxation.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application. Online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If online access is not available, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Assessment and Taxation, Attn: Human Resources Department, Room 511, 300 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.
If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 410-767-1140.
APPLCATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED NO LATER THAN THE CLOSE OF BUSINESS ON THE CLOSING DATE.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.