NATURAL RESOURCES PLANNER IV
|Department||MDE - Water and Science Administration (WSA)|
|Date Opened||12/27/2018 10:30:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||1/17/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$50,897 - $66,201 w/progression to $81,680 State Salary Guidelines apply to State employees.|
|HR Analyst||Olivia Finley|
The Water and Science Administration, Sediment, Stormwater, and Dam Safety Program is recruiting for a Natural Resources Planner IV. This is a position specific recruitment for the Maryland Department of the Environment. This recruitment will be used to fill current and future vacancies for this position/function only. The resulting cert list will be maintained for one year. Persons interested in future vacancies within this classification must re-apply.
This position is open to current permanent and contractual employees within the Maryland Department of the Environment.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Maryland Department of the Environment
Water and Science Administration
Sediment, Stormwater, and Dam Safety Program
1800 Washington Blvd. Baltimore, MD 21230
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to provide stormwater management expertise to the Sediment, Stormwater, and Dam Safety Program using advanced technical and design skills for controlling urban runoff. The incumbent of this position will be responsible for ensuring the successful implementation, evaluation, and further refinement of one of the elements (e.g. erosion and sediment control, stormwater management) of Maryland’s stormwater program. The incumbent will also serve as the permit administrator for MDE’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4) permit program within specific areas of the State. The incumbent in this position provides research expertise to the Division and Program. Additional responsibilities include: assisting in research on specific erosion/sediment control and stormwater management techniques; developing erosion/sediment control and storm water management design and construction standards; conducting education and training seminars State and federal governments and the development community, and providing technical assistance to State and federal agencies as well as local stormwater management programs.
The incumbent of this position will manage the implementation of certain permit requirements that may involve exposure to uncomfortable and unpleasant surroundings that has heavy dust, steep grades and pass through heavy vegetation, and work in noisy and extreme weather when verifying conditions at sites. While conducting site visits the incumbent may be exposed to hazardous conditions and possibly encounter deep and fast flowing stream, insects, arachnids, or poisonous plants which may result in Lyme disease and skin rashes. The incumbent may need to transverse broken, hilly ground surfaces, climb down ladders and be able to lift 50 pounds or more when conducting occasional visits associated with program review. The incumbent is required to wear protective equipment such as hard hat, steel toed shoes, safety (visibility) vest, and occasionally hip boots and insect repellant.
Education: Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in an environmental science or natural resources planning, management or development.
Experience: Five years of experience in natural resources planning or applied environmental science.
1. Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in urban or regional planning, engineering, physical geography, or the physical, chemical, biological, environmental sciences and one year of experience in natural resource planning or applied environmental science may be substituted for the required education.
2. Possession of a Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in natural resources planning, management, administration, development, environmental, urban or regional planning; resources economics or development; environmental system management; water or land resources planning and management; environmental landscape architecture; or the physical, chemical, biological or environmental sciences maybe substituted for up to three years of the required experience.
3. Possession of a Doctorate Degree from an accredited college or university in natural resources planning, management, administration, development, environmental urban or regional planning; resources economics or development; environmental system management; water or land resources planning and management; environmental landscape architecture; or the physical, chemical, biological or environmental sciences maybe substituted for the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the general natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or general natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the general natural resources management and biological sciences field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
It is preferred that the selected candidate has the following:
- Experience administering statewide programs and/or permits;
- Experience evaluating National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4) permit annual reports;
- Experience in field inspections for erosion and sediment control, and stormwater management;
- Experience evaluating local erosion and sediment control, and stormwater management programs;
- Special project management experience including composition of technical documents and outreach materials;
- Responsible personnel certification (RPC) training for erosion and sediment control.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Your application is part of the examination process. The assessment will be a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of this position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate educational and employment information on your application. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best, Better, or Qualified and placed on the cert list for at least one year. This list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees.
Education credentials and experience verification will be completed by the Appointing Authority. If you are scheduled to complete an education or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process, if one is required. Please note that you will be required by the appointing agency to provide proof upon hire of all certifications, licenses, educational and work experiences.
The MD Department of the Environment does not sponsor individuals in the application of the H-1B Visa. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States under the Immigration and Reform Control Act. You must be legally authorized and possess any necessary documents under this Act in order to be hired in the position for which you apply. For education obtained outside the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service.
It is STRONGLY preferred that you apply online; however, if you are unable to apply online, or encounter difficulty attaching required or optional documentation, you may submit via mail or deliver in person. Please be sure to include your name, identification number (Easy ID#) and reference number on any documentation to ensure timely processing. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the state application. You may email required documentation, transcripts and addendums to Olivia.email@example.com or fax to 410-537-3966.
Olivia Finley, Recruitment and Examination Division
Office of Human Resources
MDE Reference Number:18-002502-0002
1800 Washington Blvd. Baltimore, MD 21230
The MD State Application Form can be found online.
PLEASE NOTE: The Maryland Department of the Environment participates in the E-Verify Program.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|