This is skilled work at the journeyworker mechanic level in the maintenance and repair of heavy automotive equipment ((including heavy trucks, crawler-type tractors, graders, street sweepers, power shovels, fire engines, trucks and fire fighting equipment and various road construction equipment). Will occasionally supervise personnel involved in the servicing of equipment or acting as helpers to journeyworker mechanics.
* Must meet one of the following combinations of experience and education:
1. Graduation from high school (or G.E.D.) AND 3 years of journeyworker level experience as an automotive, truck or heavy equipment mechanic, including experience in the repair and maintenance of heavy equipment; OR
2. Graduation from high school (or G.E.D.) AND 3 years of experience as a City of Dayton Automotive Servicer II, Automotive Mechanic or Special Equipment Mechanic; OR
3. Graduation from high school (or G.E.D.) AND a two-year post high school automotive or truck maintenance program certificate AND one year of experience as an automotive, truck or heavy equipment mechanic including experience in the repair and maintenance of heavy equipment; OR
4. Associate degree in Automotive or Truck Maintenance.
* This experience/education must have been obtained within the last 5 years.
Degree must be from a college or university that is accredited by the U.S. Department of Education through the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Higher Learning Commission or equivalent region.
Must possess a valid driver's license at time of appointment and maintain thereafter as a term and condition of continued employment.
Within 120 days of appointment must obtain and maintain a valid Ohio Class A Commercial Driver's License (C.D.L.), including the qualification to operate a vehicle with air brakes and any other endorsements required by the State of Ohio. Out of state residents must have equivalent licenses from their state of residence within the prescribed 120 days of appointment.
FOR POSITIONS IN FIRE DEPARTMENT ONLY:
As a condition of continued employment, individuals must obtain and maintain the following 3 levels of EVT Certifications according to the timetable listed below:
1. Fire Apparatus Technician Level 1 EVT certification - within 18 months of appointment
2. Fire Apparatus Technician Level 2 EVT certification - within 36 months of appointment
3. Fire Apparatus Technician Level 3 EVT certification - within 54 months of appointment
Must have been permanently employed full-time by the City of Dayton for 6 consecutive months in the classification of Automotive Servicer II, Automotive Mechanic, or Special Equipment Mechanic and be in a current pay grade below 119 (Wage), 29 (Clerical), or equivalent. Identical scores will be broken by (1) seniority and (2) random selection method.
Open Competitive Applicants
Final appointment is contingent upon the applicant passing a job-related medical examination and providing documentary evidence of Employment Authorization and Identity. Identical scores will be broken by a random selection method.
Examination dates and times are subject to change. Calculators will be provided for the Civil Service examination. Applicants appearing on the Promotional eligible list shall be considered for appointment prior to those on the Open Competitive list. Applicants are responsible for providing all necessary employment dates, experience, training, or any other requirements as stated in the Exam Announcement, in order for their application to be considered for certification and admittance to the examination process.
Police background investigation will be required. Final appointment is contingent upon the applicant passing a drug screen.
Applicants offered employment with the City will be required to pass a nicotine screening. Newly hired employees must remain tobacco and nicotine free as a condition of continued employment.
The Tobacco and Nicotine Free Hiring Policy does not apply to current City employees subsequent to HR Policy 2.09.
Date & Time to be Announced
Civil Service Board Office
371 West Second Street, Lower Level
Dayton, Ohio 45402
*Certified candidates will be sent a link to self-schedule their examination time at a later date.