Are you looking for your next opportunity to continue making a difference in the public sector?
Read below and apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Public Health (DPH) is looking for an energetic, progressive, and open minded individual to join the Operational Support Services Team (OSS) as a Supervising Accounts Examiner. The OSS is currently comprised of Fiscal Services, Grants and Contracts, Information Technology, Project Management, Human Resources and Labor Relations. The Supervising Accounts Examiner is a position to create and oversee a Management Assurance Unit (Internal Audit) within the Agency. This position is located at 410 Capital Avenue, Hartford CT and is a forty-hour per week hybrid position.
- Team: Operational Support Services Team (OSS)
- Location: 410 Capital Ave, Hartford, CT
- Work Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week
- Schedule: First shift, Monday through Friday | Hybrid Schedule
Please note: This position is available to current State of CT employees only. See selection plan for more information.
In this role, discover the opportunity to:
- Lead and perform a range of complex auditing functions.
- Manage audits and contract compliance reports.
- Coordinate of internal audit workgroup and functions ensuring compliance with regulatory and statutory requirements.
- Develop and make recommendation on policies and standards.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU - As a current State of CT employee, you will continue to receive the same benefits you are accustom to:
- The opportunity to work for a Forbes top company: 'Forbes' State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule.
- NEW: A Platinum Healthcare Plan, the nation’s best for state employees and dependents, according to a report by Georgetown’s Center on Health Insurance Reform and article by Ellen Andrews, Ph.D., along with comprehensive benefit offerings.
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings.
- State of Connecticut is an eligible Public Service Loan Forgiveness employer, meaning you may be eligible to have qualifying student loans forgiven after 10 years of service. Click here for more information.
- Generous paid time off, including 13 paid holidays per calendar year.
- Professional growth and development opportunities.
- A healthy work/life balance
The Department of Public Health works to ensure the highest degree of integrity.
The Mission of DPH is to protect and improve the health and safety of the people of Connecticut by assuring:
- The conditions in which people can be healthy;
- Preventing disease, injury, and disability; and
- Promoting the equal enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health, which is a human right and a priority of the state.
DPH accomplishes this through the implementation of its Strategic Plan which outlines the actions that DPH is taking to accomplish its Mission.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
Please read or watch our Applicant Tips on How to Apply!
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has worked for the state for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
In order to receive educational credits toward
qualification for this job posting, the institution must be accredited.
If the institution of higher learning is located outside of the U.S., you are
responsible for providing documentation from a recognized USA accrediting
service which specializes in determining foreign education equivalencies to the
recruiter listed on this job posting.
For current state employees, salary calculations are not necessarily comparable from one of the three branches of state government (i.e., Executive, Legislative, Judicial) to the other.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Pamela Rochette via email at Pamela.Rochette@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for supervising an accounts examination unit or function.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Schedules, assigns, oversees, and reviews the work of staff;
- Provides staff training and assistance;
- Conducts performance evaluations;
- Determines priorities and plans unit work;
- Establishes and maintains unit procedures;
- Develops or make recommendations on the development of policies and standards;
- Acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies, and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures;
- Prepares reports and correspondence;
- Reviews audit reports for conformance with policies and regulations;
- May conduct hearings or conferences with those audited;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Considerable knowledge of
- and ability to apply relevant state and federal laws, statutes, and regulations;
- and ability to apply relevant agency policies and procedures;
- professional accounting and auditing principles and practices;
- governmental and commercial accounting;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Considerable ability to
- analyze and evaluate accounting procedures;
- analyze financial records, documents, and reports;
- Supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Eight (8) years of experience in accounting or auditing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been performing the most complex accounting function or acting in a lead or consultative capacity at the level of an Associate Accountant or an Associate Accounts Examiner.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training in accounting or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree
- A Master's degree in accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience supervising staff level employees, including verifying the accuracy of work performed by subordinates.
- Experience interpreting and applying statutes, regulations, and administrative policies.
- Experience with auditing and auditing principals.
- Experience with CORE-CT and CORE-CT Reporting.
Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.