Are you interested in a career where you can make a difference for children and families?
If so, apply today!
The State of Connecticut, the Department of Children and Families (DCF) seeks two qualified individuals for the positions of Registered Nurse (RN). These positions are full-time, 40-hours per week, third (3rd) shift, located at our Hospital in Middletown, CT.
Comprehensive Benefit Offerings:
- The opportunity to work for a Forbes top company: 'Forbes' State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule.
- State of Connecticut is an eligible Public Service Loan Forgiveness employer, meaning you may be eligible to have qualifying student loans forgiven after 10 years of service. Click here for more information.
- A Platinum Healthcare Plan, the nation’s best for state employees and dependents, according to a report by Georgetown's Center on Health Insurance Reform and article by Ellen Andrews, Ph.D., along with comprehensive benefit offerings.
- Comprehensive Benefits which include industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage.
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings.
- Generous paid time off, including 13 paid holidays per calendar year.
- Professional growth and development opportunities.
- A healthy work/life balance to all employees.
- Each Registered Nurse who is permanently assigned to the second or third shift shall receive a “recruitment and retention” yearly bonus of three thousand dollars ($3,000.00). This bonus shall be pro-rated for part-time Registered Nurses. This bonus shall be paid biweekly. In order to be eligible for this bonus, the Employee must have completed one year of service in the registered nurse classification.
- Independently implements the nursing process with individuals including carrying out physicians orders regarding diet, medication and treatment;
- Performs assessments;
- Changes dressings;
- Monitors and ensures quality care through observation and evaluation;
- Reports on physiological and mental health status of individuals;
- Documents nursing interventions on medical records;
- Related duties as required.
Who We Are:
- At DCF our mission is partnering with communities and empowering families to raise resilient children who thrive. We are proud of our diverse and dedicated workforce who strive every day to meet the needs of those we encounter. Currently we are seeking individuals who are looking to advance their career and make a difference.
These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules. Applications to this recruitment will be used to meet collective bargaining requirements. Once any collective bargaining requirements have been met, all other applicants may be considered.
For Assistance in Applying:
- Please read or watch our "Applicant Tips on How to Apply" page.
- For current state employees, salary calculations are not necessarily comparable from branch to branch but it does not impact your state service credit.
- At any point later in the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, attendance, supervisor references, college transcripts, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meets the preferred qualifications, so please ensure that your application is complete and details your experience as outlined in this job posting. Please note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Connect With Us:
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Ethan Ives at email@example.com and reference the recruitment number.
- Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for providing a full range of professional nursing care.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Independently implements the nursing process with individuals including carrying out physicians orders regarding diet, medication and treatment; performs assessments; changes dressings; monitors and ensures quality care through observation and evaluation; reports on physiological and mental health status of individuals; documents nursing interventions on medical records; distributes and maintains records of controlled drugs and insures their security; maintains records and makes reports; makes decisions in routine cases; instructs individuals, staff and family members regarding treatments, nursing plans and related individual care issues directed towards an awareness and understanding of health/mental health issues; responds to emergencies; maintains availability of medications and supplies; ensures cleanliness of equipment and environment; may participate as a member of an interdisciplinary treatment team in the assessment, development, implementation and evaluation of individuals treatment or health/mental health care plans; may formulate and implement nursing care plans; may participate in outpatient clinics and assist in physical examinations; may administer routine tests; may conduct training; may delegate nursing tasks consistent with established protocols; may participate in psychotherapeutic and rehabilitation interventions; may physically restrain individuals; may provide related medical or mental health specialty services; may serve as Qualified Intellectual Disability Professional; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of and ability to apply professional nursing theory, practice and ethics; knowledge of current medications, their actions, interactions, uses and side effects; knowledge of medical, therapeutic and psychiatric nursing interventions and methods; knowledge of and ability to apply quality standards, procedures and protocols; knowledge of and sensitivity to cultural and socio-economic difference; knowledge of and ability to apply clinical therapeutic models of individual care with emphasis on interdisciplinary team approach; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to act as a role model to health care staff by demonstrating and teaching professional behaviors; ability to learn specialized individual care applicable to work assignment; ability to listen and provide empathetic assistance to individuals and families in meeting their needs and carrying out prescribed treatments; ability to develop therapeutic relationships with individuals, and their caregivers; ability to respond to emergencies; ability to respond to and seek supervision; ability to encourage and facilitate cooperation, pride trust and group identity to foster commitment and team work; ability to analyze and evaluate proper care and treatment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited nursing program.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a license or temporary permit as a Registered Professional Nurse in Connecticut.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to be fluent in a foreign language or proficient in the use of the American Sign Language in certain designated positions.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift and restrain individuals; may have exposure to communicable/infectious diseases and risk of injury from assaultive/abusive individuals; may be exposed to disagreeable conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.