Interested in joining an energized team of engineers who are shaping the future
of transportation in Connecticut?
Are you a data enthusiast with data analytics ability?
If so, we may have an exciting opportunity for you to join our
team! Read below and apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT), is now accepting applications for a Transportation Engineer 2 (Engineering) position, in the Bureau of Engineering and Construction, Office of Engineering, Division of Facilities and Transit, AEC (Architectural, Engineering and Construction) Applications Section, at our headquarters in Newington, CT.
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Act as
data liaison for assigned engineering assets and projects
with the AEC’s teams to continually improve project delivery efficiency and
with other units to develop datasets, asset data management processes, create
maps, apps, and data visualizations
as a GIS specialist, working on applications/software including ESRI desktop and
web-based applications, ArcGIS enterprise, Office 365 Power Apps/tool
with other state DOTs and Federal agencies to stay updated on emerging
technologies and efficient practices on a wide range of topics including GIS,
BIM & asset data management
to providing safe and efficient transportation improvements for the traveling
solve, recommend, and implement effective solutions in a timely manner
your oral, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills
be available to travel for training, conferences, meetings, field reviews, etc.
both within and outside of normal working hours, when necessary. A valid motor
vehicle operator's license is required and must be maintained.
BENEFITS AND BALANCE AT THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT
The State of Connecticut
Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 by
'Forbes'. This national recognition comes from offering job growth, competitive
benefits, and flexible scheduling for our employees!
Working for DOT can provide you with:
- A competitive starting salary
- Tuition reimbursement
- Alternate work schedule options
- Hybrid work
environment opportunities (combination of on-site and remote work)
leading health benefits,
including medical and dental coverage
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Paid time off- including 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- Professional growth and paid professional development
- A work culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance to
- On-site low-cost fitness center, on-site cafeteria
and Electric Vehicle (EV) charging
- Ample free parking with easy access from major
highways or by public transportation
- Work for Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers
(CSCE’s) Employer of the Year!
- State of Connecticut is an eligible Public Service Loan Forgiveness employer, meaning you may be eligible to have qualifying student loans forgiven after 10 years of service. Click here for more information
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
- Monday-Friday Schedule
- Location: Newington, CT
At the DOT, our mission is to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that
improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and
the region. Learn more about our mission, vision and values here. Visit our website to learn more about the Connecticut DOT!
The AEC Applications team is responsible for:
- Developing and
establishing electronic design standards
- Supporting computer-aided
engineering and construction applications
- Organizing design
projects to move seamlessly from the initiation stage to final design and
through advertising, awarding, construction, and maintenance
- A complete project
which can be interactively used in a geospatial system and archived and
retrieved in a management information system
- Monitoring and implementing the latest in design
technology to continually improve performance and customer service
- To Apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to receive educational credits toward qualification for this job posting, the institution must be accredited. If the institution of higher learning is located outside of the U.S., you are responsible for providing documentation from a recognized USA accrediting service which specializes in determining foreign education equivalencies to the individual listed on this job posting.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location or shift.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- For current state employees, salary calculations are not necessarily comparable from branch to branch but it does not impact your state service credit.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
- Please read or watch our Applicant Tips on How to Apply!
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Sharon McIntosh, at Sharon.McIntosh@ct.gov.
Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority, this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of engineering or related tasks in one or more aspects of transportation engineering projects or studies in the following areas: administration, bridge design, design, drainage, electrical, foundations, hydraulics, maintenance, operations, pavement management, regulation compliance, rehabilitation, research, traffic or utilities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Manage and coordinate
assigned asset data with asset stewards and other stakeholders
- Develop data models and
create a data management process
- Develop schemas, test,
and implement the data management as planned
- Develop and monitor data
update processes from authoritative sources to GIS systems
- Oversee the tasks of
other team members as needed
- Analyze problems and
recommend effective solutions for engineering/GIS related challenges
- Develop Maps, Apps,
dashboards, and Field data collection solutions
- Work closely with AEC’s
teams to develop enhanced Project/Asset data integration
- Assist in ATLAS 2 (GIS
based Project & Asset tracking solution) support.
- Research and propose GIS
solutions to support data integration during Construction and Inspection
- Provide technical GIS
support within the Bureau of Engineering and Construction
- Other duties as
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of more than one specialized field involved in transportation engineering such as bridge design, foundations, highway design, transportation facilities design, transportation planning, maintenance, drainage or hydraulics, research, pavement design, pavement management and traffic; considerable skill in use of computer aided design and drafting (CADD) applications; considerable technical skills in preparation of engineering and administrative reports; skill and ability to analyze and evaluate engineering, highway, structural and pavement design, hydraulic and traffic problems and provide effective solutions; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to perform complex mathematical calculations; ability to develop and interpret plans and specifications.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and two (2) years of experience in a professional transportation engineering or transportation construction engineering capacity.
Note: For State employees, one (1) year of experience must have been at the level of Transportation Engineer 1 (Engineering) or (Construction Engineering).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Possession of Professional Engineer (PE) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
2. Possession of Engineer-In-Training (EIT) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
3. A Master’s degree in engineering may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
- Education, training, or experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Experience with Bentley CAD Design Software such as Bentley Open Roads, Open Cities
- Experience with ESRI’s product suite in both desktop and ArcGIS Enterprise /ArcGIS online
- Experience using SQL, Python or Arcade expressions in querying and scripting
- Experience with Office 365 and Power apps
- Experience with developing data models that can be managed across an agency
- Education, training, or experience with statistical analysis software/ concepts
- Experience preparing and reviewing complex technical reports and documents
- Experience with oral and written communication skills
- Experience self-managing and efficiently delivering assigned tasks, projects, and group initiatives
- Experience coordinating effectively with other Department units, consultants, state, and federal agencies
- Experience presenting technical information to diverse populations including officials, peers, members of the public and small and large groups
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some danger of injury or physical harm from highway or construction environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from exposure to year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.