Want a summer job for your active lifestyle? Stay fit working with us as a Lifeguard Supervisor for the 2024 season!
- Pay: $21.00 - $23.00/ hour. No benefits.
- DEEP will provide all training required to work as a lifeguard at the State Park beaches. Training time is paid!
- Duration: Memorial Day Weekend (May 27th) through Labor Day (September 2th).
- Schedule: Lifeguards work daily shifts from 10AM - 6PM, five days a week. Most weekends and July 4th, are mandatory.
Opportunities are available at the following State Parks:
The DEEP State Parks & Public Outreach Division is responsible for managing the outdoor recreation opportunities at parks and forests across CT. The Division has proudly staffed lifeguards at many beaches across the state for over a century. The CT State Park Lifeguards are an elite squad of highly trained professionals that have kept millions of swimmers safe.
We want a leader who is professional, respectful, and motivated.
Being a state park lifeguard is unlike any job you'll ever have, with high stakes and real-world experience. All of our guards are trained and guided by qualified professionals. Lifeguards work as a team and many form lasting friendships. Do something that matters with your summer job- protect people at the beach!
Applicants are required to:
- Be at least 18 years old and present proof of age.
- Be able to pass training prerequisite skills and state issued certifications.
- Be fluent in English.
- Provide copies of any relevant certifications (CPR, first aid, lifeguard, EMR/EMT) if possessed.
- Note: A pre-employment physical is required of all applicants.
Applicants must be able to successfully complete the training prerequisite skills to work as a state park lifeguard before they can take the state issued training. All applicants will have two attempts to successfully complete the following skills:
- Swim 550 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used. This swim is to be completed in 10 minutes or less.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits. The head must remain above the surface of the water.
- Complete the ‘brick’ timed event within 1 minute 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. (The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.) Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. (Candidates should not swim the distance under water.) Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Complete the ‘underwater swim’ event by swimming an accumulation of 15 yards underwater, in a single breath, picking up three dive rings.
- Complete a 50-yard swim in 45 seconds or less.
- Complete a 0.25 mile run in 2 minutes or less.
- Complete a 1 mile run in 10 minutes or less.
- Move a 165 pound object/person a distance of 25 yards.
In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
For technical support regarding the filing of your application, please contact Mackenzie Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection this class is accountable for acting as a working supervisor and assisting in the management of lifeguard operations as well as performing a full range of lifeguard services at swimming areas operated by the state agency.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Acts as the working supervisor and assists in managing the operation of the guarded designated swim area at the State Park;
- Performs basic lifeguarding duties;
- Leads the day to day activities of a lifeguard squad;
- Coordinates lifeguard shifts;
- Leads training activities;
- Participates in the proper caring for and maintenance of equipment;
- Provides daily updates to the supervisor and park management on issues and activities;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of paid lifeguard experience or previous lifeguard supervisory experience.
- Experience in a supervisory role.
- Experience working as a CT State Park Lifeguard.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.