At the Department of Social Services (DSS) we are currently recruiting for qualified applicants to join our team as a Community Nurse Coordinator. This role will be a part of our Division of Health Services in the Community Options Strategy Unit, located at 55 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT 06105.
What We Have To Offer!
- To work for a Forbes top company: ‘Forbes’ State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage
- Comprehensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Retirement healthcare offerings
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- Outstanding work-life balance
- State of Connecticut is an eligible Public Service Loan Forgiveness employer, meaning you may be eligible to have qualifying student loans forgiven after 10 years of service. Click here for more information
In this role, you would be accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks associated with the provision of professional nursing consultation to access agencies who provide case management services to consumers and their families regarding social services program-based healthcare services. Along with other duties as needed, we will have you;
- Provide consultation and case management to access agencies, health care providers, clients and family members
- Coordinate authorization of delivery of services with access agencies
- Evaluate costs and clinical appropriateness of medical, social and behavioral health aspects of care
- Conduct health care case reviews for quality and care management
- This is a full-time 40 hours per week, first (1st) shift position
- Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- However, work schedule flexibility may be needed in order to meet the needs of the agency
WHO WE ARE:
DSS delivers and funds a wide range of programs and services as Connecticut’s multi-faceted health and human services agency. We serve about one million residents of all ages in all 169 Connecticut cities and towns. We support the basic needs of children, families, older and other adults, including persons with disabilities.
You will experience the opportunity to make a difference in the public sector for the State of Connecticut! We encourage you to apply today!
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has worked for the state for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
For Assistance in Applying:
Please read or watch our Applicant Tips on How to Apply!
This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules. Candidates currently holding the title of Community Nurse Coordinator, who have permanent status and wish to be considered for lateral transfer, are now required to submit their application for consideration. All Candidates who meet the Minimum Qualifications - as listed on the job opening - must submit an application and will be considered for this role, as determined by qualifications stated on the submitted application.
In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the minimum qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date, unless otherwise specified.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Please ensure that your application is complete. You will be unable to make revisions once you officially submit your application to the state of Connecticut.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
During the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation supporting their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc. at the discretion of the agency.
For current state employees, salary calculations are not necessarily comparable from branch to branch but it does not impact your state service credit.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Ethan Ives at Ethan.Ives@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Social Services, Home and Community Based Services unit this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks associated with the provision of professional nursing consultation to access agencies who provide case management services to consumers and their families regarding social services program-based healthcare services.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Provide consultation and case management to access agencies, health care providers, clients and family members;
- Coordinates authorization of delivery of services with access agencies;
- Evaluates cost and clinical appropriateness of medical, social and behavioral health aspects of care;
- Conducts health care case reviews for quality and care management;
- Reviews and approves or denies prior authorization requests for services;
- Serves as a resource to clients and health insurance companies regarding rights and responsibilities;
- Serves as liaison with internal agency contacts and outside providers regarding program policies and procedures;
- Completes health screen assessment and determines level of care eligibility;
- Evaluates care plan to ensure compliance with cost caps and federal regulations;
- Reviews, evaluates and authorizes requests for medical services and equipment for clients;
- Investigates client complaints;
- May conduct on site quality assessment and/or compliance review;
- May represent the department in fair hearings related to medical necessity determination of nursing facility level of care;
- May make recommendations for policy changes;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of nursing care administration for variety of specialties with varied settings;
- Knowledge of
- relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations;
- relevant agency policy and procedures;
- managed care practices;
- principles and practices pertinent to community processes;
- state and federal and local health agencies and programs;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to
- problem solve;
- understand and communicate health programs;
- utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of experience as a registered professional nurse in a position involving home healthcare, nursing homes or other community based nursing program.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been in the areas of client care plans or utilization review.
NOTE: For state employees this experience is interpreted at the level of a Nurse.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
A Bachelor's degree in nursing may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
- Experience reviewing and approving community care plans from multiple programs
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities and older adults
- Experience with person-centered planning and principles
- Experience with the mitigation of clinical risks for people living at nursing home level of care in the community
- Experience interpreting and adhering to State and Federal laws, statutes, regulations and programs related to long-term supports and services
- Experience with Medicaid
- Experience with the social determinants of health
- Experience collaborating with teams
- Experience reviewing biopsychosocial assessments
- Incumbent in this class must possess and retain a license as a Registered Professional Nurse in Connecticut.
- Incumbent in this class may be required to travel.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to possess a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.