The State Geological Survey has a current opportunity for a Seasonal Resource Assistant. The Geological Survey conducts active field mapping activities throughout Connecticut and requires seasonal help as part of the field team safety plan. Field and geologic collections support enables us to produce authoritative geosciences data and mapping. As we advance the Connecticut digital geologic framework, improvements to DEEP GIS data and collections enhance the suitability of our information to address questions of environmental quality, groundwater availability, and natural hazards.
Seasonal Resource Assistants
Roles and responsibilities include:
- Schedule is up to 40 hours per week, 1,040 hours or 12 months for the position.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Required to travel.
- Provide geologic sites database and mapping improvements through fieldwork and GIS geodatabase maintenance.
- Support mapping activities in the field and assist in digital data production and map compilation to detailed Lidar base imagery.
- Support survey collections, including maps and documents library, core repository, and sample collections.
1. Complete a Master Application and directly apply to this recruitment.
2. Ensure that your application is complete. You will be unable to make revisions once you officially submit your application to the State of Connecticut.
3. Regularly check your email for notifications (be sure to check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error).
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, as a limited duration employee, performs one or more of a variety of tasks and assigned duties of a seasonal nature.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Background in Geosciences & GIS preferred.
- Experience with ArcGIS Online, ArcPro, FieldMaps, and Adobe Illustrator preferred.
- Incumbents in this class who are assigned as supervisors of small recreational units will perform emergency first aid as needed and will be required to obtain and retain a Basic First Aid Certificate.
- Incumbents in this class may be required for certain positions to meet any of the following:
- Proof of possession of a valid Motor Vehicle Operator license.
- Possession of a valid license to apply pesticides.
- College training in a specific field.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification may be required by specific State facilities.
- Incumbents performing lifeguard services must have and retain an American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguarding Certification (includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Basic First Aid). An EMT or MRT certification may be substituted for the CPR and First Aid requirements.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain adequate physical strength and stamina to perform the duties of the class.
2. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must be able to demonstrate American Red Cross (ARC) waterfront lifeguarding swimming skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.